Large Scale Central

I feel a bash coming on

Idle hands …

Long before G, I bought this truck;

Went online and found out it’s 1:30ish and I play with 1:24. A New cab and the low side box goes …

18 years ago I was in On3 and bought a brass kit for a ditcher …

I’ll have to raise the ditcher’s roof and lengthen handles and the operators station, but I think it’s doable; a flat deck in back …

The Ace’s cab is too narrow and too low on the body;

Larger panels from step to cab will balance a wider and taller cab …

On the Ace, the bottom of the cab is the same as the hood. The chain on the Ace??? If I motorize; new chain.

A better looking cab …

It’s not as if there aren’t already too many ‘projects’ waiting my touch and there will be the Mandatory Mik Challenge in 3 weeks and bridges to build … but there’s a freeze warning hereabouts tomorrow and I already pulled the wheels!

John Caughey said: It’s not as if there aren’t already too many ‘projects’ waiting my touch and there will be the Mandatory Mik Challenge in 3 weeks and bridges to build … but there’s a freeze warning hereabouts tomorrow and I already pulled the wheels!

Go for it! Those are some nice photos of the real ones.

That would look great.

I like this, looking for ideas for my mack kits, so definitely gonna watch along!

When I first read the title of the thread, by “Bash” I thought “Cool, John’s either feeling like having a big party somewhere or he’s talking about abusing somebody”.

Good idea, though. Guess they didn’t have the Mack Bulldog hood ornament in those days…

How about this for title of the docudrama about this project, “John Caughey, The Mad Mack Basher”

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Forrest Scott Wood said:

How about this for title of the docudrama about this project, “John Caughey, The Mad Mack Basher”

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Somebody has too much time on his hands! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Kit bashing was a treasured deviation as I grew up in a scale world. I never, not hardly ever, that was never, I never built a kit as intended. Oh the first may have been inspired by the broken part or capillary action of some glues … but as those fixes became lessons, my eyes began to see possibilities …

But my hero is the true visionary, I suggest exploring this site: http://4largescale.com/chris/index.htm

Atta boy John, looking forward to seeing your progress!

John Caughey said:

But my hero is the true visionary, I suggest exploring this site: http://4largescale.com/chris/index.htm

Opened link in new tab and it shows is already bookmarked. Had forgotten about it.

Then again, there are something like 12 years worth of bookmarks in this box - which includes those imported from 2 previous PCs.

That is going to be a cool bash indeed.

The cab of that Mack really gives the truck character but it is also one of the things that to our eyes defines scale. If you take off the cab roof you lose the fine detail but will gain a feeling of open scale.

Those prototype crane trucks are really cool.

Todd Haskins said:

The cab of that Mack really gives the truck character but it is also one of the things that to our eyes defines scale. If you take off the cab roof you lose the fine detail but will gain a feeling of open scale.

Thanks, I got it all apart and the cab may be completely rebuilt because there is no easy way to use parts of it … as of yet.

I think I can motorize it, Tamiyia makes some neat mini gear boxes for 3-6v motors.

Micro Mark offers a chain drive, but I’ve not yet determined it’s dimensions, can anybody advise me about that?

I have a plan for the front axle and the wheel looks good under the fenders.

I think the cranes are getting ready to lift a Sierra Car onto a lowboy truck. I recognize the pin stripping on the car.

Google images is a nice open door to many sites with local histories and unique finds. I gleaned those pics in a few hours.

Wow, this looks like a great project. I look forward to all your clever hacks to add detail, and motorizing it sounds like a hoot. Have fun John!

John Caughey said:

Todd Haskins said:

Thanks, I got it all apart and the cab may be completely rebuilt because there is no easy way to use parts of it … as of yet.

I think I can motorize it, Tamiyia makes some neat mini gear boxes for 3-6v motors.

Micro Mark offers a chain drive, but I’ve not yet determined it’s dimensions, can anybody advise me about that?

I have a plan for the front axle and the wheel looks good under the fenders.

I think the cranes are getting ready to lift a Sierra Car onto a lowboy truck. I recognize the pin stripping on the car.

Google images is a nice open door to many sites with local histories and unique finds. I gleaned those pics in a few hours.

My “issue” is when I do an image search, before I find all of the information I am looking for, I get sidetracked with other cool stuff, and that leads to some more cool stuff that ends up burning the whole evening…and I still haven’t found that one odd detail I was looking for in my original search.

Dave, I bring the model (problem) with me to the PC, as a reminder, sometimes for the next day(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif), but as I said to Sis when she gave me an alarm clock, An alarm? Me?

I’ve found a source for industrial mini sprockets and chain drives, good thing this isn’t Mik’s challenge, there’s a $30 min. Might need as well build a fleet, Ace is lousy with the trucks!

I have a truck I was going to do some conversion work on. Maybe you have spurred me on to do it!

This truck is for Desert Slim.

He was a “desert rat” who designed an old Ford truck that he drove around the west selling rocks to various people.

I have Slim. I think you made him! Now I need to do my part of the project!

Doug Arnold said:

I have a truck I was going to do some conversion work on. Maybe you have spurred me on to do it!

This truck is for Desert Slim.

He was a “desert rat” who designed an old Ford truck that he drove around the west selling rocks to various people.

I have Slim. I think you made him! Now I need to do my part of the project!

Nope, I didn’t make your Slim, besides that tho’, Whatcha waitin’ fer?

I wonder if he will fit into the Challenge?

Doug; Not since you’ve talked about it … Dave’s pretty good at keeping a level playing field.

Since this is MY lol thread…

Did I mention On3?

I like rail trucks … I moved and changed scales before I could mount the motor, that’s a Flea drive shaft from NWSL, a hanging down there.

I was a tow truck driver in a previous life, does it show?

Chop chop … the front axle nests perfectly in half of the axle tube. My largest ball burr (.240") cut a smooth bed for the steel axle and barely a daylight clearance betwixt fender and flange … I can see it, but no way to measure it. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I’m moving the back wheel forward about an inch and a quarter. With that change my truck is evolving into a pick 'em up truck from a flat bed. The cardboard cab is a tad tall (1st cut). The brass sheet up on a bottle cap to clear the rear wheels, is the the floor for the host vehicle in the hoist kit. The white metal bull gear allows the ditcher to swivel and I want it over the axle. The frame gets shortened to match.

I noticed on the blue print above, that the front wheel is a smaller diameter than the tandem rears. The shiny wheel from a blister pack is smaller than the black one from a sloped back tender, both Aristo.

The cab is marked to cut, I’m going to try to unbend and move aft the one at the door way. Since this was a Bank, I’ll need to remove the box and fill the rest of the coin slot. A new tool box will be added.

Thanks for looking.

That nasty old cab kept interfering with my Vision.

I was able to slice the top of the wind shield frame from the top. It will make a nice split window with the top half hinged for ventilation …

I have a Demco high speed spindle that holds my 1/8th " bits. I used a couple of separating discs (one at a time) .009" thick. No misprint. Paper thin to make the cuts.

I did get little dimples where I straightened the cab frame … I’m going to match the curves, just bigger. Once the cab’s dimensions are found (trial and too many errors)(sometimes I repeat) I’ll rebuild the lower portion to match.

Hopefully my efforts will be half as good as some artisans here… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)