Large Scale Central

Switch stands

Something I have been fiddling with in my spare time. It is 100% brass. There’s a spring under the base that keeps it in position. To rotate it, the whole staff raises up & turns 90 degrees.

And before anyone asks: yes, they will be for sale… eventually.

You interested in some prototype drawings of switch stands? I’ve got a few I can forward to you.

Sure

On the way via fancy electronics and zeros and ones…

Sweet. Thanks.

Nice - I love the old style “pump handle” switch stands. There is one near me on a switch the has had the frog removed. I’ve been tempted to liberate it, but even if I could get the spikes out I probably couldn’t lift it.

Excellent work, Burl. I started on a switch stand model a couple years ago; no where near as realistic looking as yours though.

Now, is it made of special flexible brass which will spring back into the upright position after you trip over it? :wink:

Seriously, they look cool. If I weren’t so clumsy as to continually trip over my low-profile Bachmann machines, I’d probably be down for a few.

Later,

K

Nope, just regular brass. When I do build another layout, I’m doing a raised bed. I realize there are switch stands already available that are beefier than mine - I’m not trying to reproduce those.

I will be looking with interest in these as I love the look and like using manual switch stands. Since my layout under construction is elevated, I have no issues with tripping over them and needing that magical springy brass.

Dan