Large Scale Central

1/32 steam locos?

I’m looking for small “American” steam locos in 1/32 scale to pull some cheap New Bright cars (Disney) I have for a Christmas tree layout.

Any suggestions?

I would repaint and letter it for Disneyland Railways so anything appropriate would work.

Marklin Maxi? They have an “American” type locomotives, rather inexpensive first or second-hand. If you‘re talking 45mm track…

I looked up used maxi on ebay, most locos are $200 or over, did find a german tank loco for $150

I would use an american loco in 1/29th scale. They aren’t much bigger than 1/32nd and will look fine with a xmas theme railroad.

USA Trans has a neat little 0-6-0T:

And there’s a bunch of used Aristo equipment around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARISTOCRAFT-GAUGE-1-21309-ATSF-0-4-0-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-W-SLOPEBACK-TENDER/371699917061?hash=item568b0aa105:g:3CQAAOSwnQhXoAwx

With all drivers flanged, I’m not sure the min radius of the 0-6-0… (reference around Christmas tree) I have one and it’s quite a puller, but not sure it’s right with the new bright, still a good sized loco up against 1:32.

I’d look at the Bachmann “little hauler” stuff and perhaps bash it down a bit, but already small and inexpensive.

Greg

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

I wasn’t sure what I had initially and it turns out is is not New Bright but more like Scientific Toys cars, so more 1/24 than 1/32. I found a fairly affordable Lionel 0-6-0 Disneyland set that looks great with the cars I have. I’m going to have to do some Kadee mods so they all play nice, but nothing I’m not familiar with. Runs surprisingly well, but wow is that Lionel track garbage. Good thing I have some old LGB track to use. Runs very nice on LGB track. Both 1500 radius and 1100 radius.

Also going to be interesting how to fit a sound unit in the little 0-6-0, but I have a plan.