Large Scale Central

Yes! Putting your model railroading scenery building to use...

I know a man who donated a very large sculptural composition of three rams to Colorado State University (CSU…their sports teams are the Rams) in Fort Collins for installation in the new brand new football stadium, specifically in the new alumni center in the stadium. His company provided the pre-cast concrete for construction of the new stadium.

Problem was, the sculptor, a Denver native who worked in the 1980s, had built a lava rock (really? there is no lava rock in Colorado, but okay) base for his sculpture, which needed replacing, especially since most of it fell apart when the sculpture group was removed from its present location. Here’s it is pre-taking-down…this thing is TWELVE feet wide!:

So I said, “Hey, I model rock scenery all the time for my model railroad, take a look at this.” And I showed him some scenes from my railroad layout; here’s one for example:

So I showed them my work, and presented them with a proposal, including a drawing, and they commissioned me to build a base for the sculpture to replace the lava rock, and the theme would be rock you would see in the mountains around CSU. Here’s the alumni center (where the sculpture will be installed) under construction and here’s my “NAPKIN” drawing!

And the sketch of my concept (which, of course, I hardly followed at all!):

Once I got the commission, I cleared space on a wall in my gallery, right out in the gallery itself, and temporarily installed the armature for the sculpture and the rams once the lava rock had been removed (this project at this point finally hit home to me how gigantic in scale it is, oh boy):

I bought six sheets of four-foot by eight-foot rigid insulation, the yellowish kind with the paper and foil backing on both sides, and it’s two inches thick, to make the rock structure. It’s this stuff:

And then I formed it into the rock ledges and painted it. The whole thing hangs on the structure by dowels, and, after having failed miserably to get sheets and pieces to hang together with various adhesives, including the insta-grab caulking, I went back to my layout modelling techniques and use pointed skewers from the grocery store to hold the various pieces and layers together. it worked so I ain’t knocking it! And caulked all over the place the joints that needed smoothing out.

Here you can see the skewers, the caulking, and the dowels that will be cut off and filled in the final installation (the colors I used are white from a painter’s gesso, raw umber, and yellow ochre, nothing else):

I did the carving and scraping and shaping with one knife I bought from the hardware store, and I don’t know what it’s usually used for but it worked for me. Here’s where I am at with this project right now, and I have to finish it this weekend because we are installing at CSU on Monday. I’ll add some pictures here as I go along. I won’t be getting any sleep for the next couple of days.

Thanks for looking; I hope this is of some interest to someone. If nothing else, it’s a case of railroad modelling paying off in an unexpected way.

JOHN!!! That is so cool!!! You should send it to the NMRA magazine editor. They are always looking for stories on model railroading skills used in real life.

Very, Very nice! Much better than the original.

Hey, neat! Is kind of funny about the glues and skewers (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

So here’s some final pictures, not too good, I know, the lighting sucks, of the final product…which I sent to my client and to CSU, and CSU sends an email back saying they think it’s wonderful but they don’t want any of the vegetation in it because the vegetation doesn’t fit their design theme! What?! Fit the scheme?! Oh, well, it’s their football stadium and their alumni center and their scheme. Anyway, here’s some pictures and I’ll take some better pictures when the whole work is installed up there in Fort Collins.

And by the way Boomer, you’re suggestion is making my heart rate jump to a hundred beats a minute…if I could choose between an article of my work in one of the model railroad magazines and an article in any of the expensive fancy art magazines, I’d take the railroad magazine every time!

Neat John… Go for the RR mag, You could always buy a page in Southwest Art.

Dave

Great job! Hmmm Art installations, now there’s a fast buck!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Those goats would have eaten the bluebonnets and vines, cut it back to stubble …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Awesome!!! Very cool project, and perfectly executed!

Way cool John!!! It really looks great. Be sure to get some pictures at installation.

That’s beautiful John!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Lava rock and goats

You really nailed it, John…well, nailed it skewers! Fantastic work!

John… Next time you need to glue foam to foam, use foam. The instant kind in a spray can ( a number of brand names ) “Great Stuff”.

Two techniques:

1: use as it comes out of the can, smear it around and pin with the skiers, let dry.

2: shoot some foam, from the can, onto a scrap pad palette. Using a flexible spatula ( or such) work the air out of the foam, and then use it as the “GLUE”. Either way works really good on the raw foam with out the paper or plastic liner.

Stickey, sticker stuff. BTW: clean the flexible thing before the stuff sets up.

Great simulated stonework, John. Definitely looks more appropriate than the original!

Thanks to everyone for your kind remarks and support. I really appreciate it more than you might realize. Tomorrow is the installation and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Next up, Go Big… CU… Ralphie!!!

Nice!

Really beautiful work John!!

Well I realize I never did really show the final installation pictures and the rock formation in place. I don’t know why it occurred to me after all this time, but what the heck, here they are. Two friends, the man who commissioned the piece and his son, more or less did all the actual installation and here’s what it looks like in place (the one picture is the “rock” leaning up against the wall and one of the students came through and said, “What are you all doing with that rock?” and I told him it was going up on the wall and he could help me lift it; he was a big kid and looked at me like I was crazy, so I lifted up one end with one hand and his eyes got real big and he didn’t know what to think! it was hilarious.):

John Passaro said:

(the one picture is the “rock” leaning up against the wall and one of the students came through and said, “What are you all doing with that rock?” and I told him it was going up on the wall and he could help me lift it; he was a big kid and looked at me like I was crazy, so I lifted up one end with one hand and his eyes got real big and he didn’t know what to think! it was hilarious.):

Oh that would have been fun to see! And what is seen here looks grand.