Large Scale Central

Locomotive Cutaway Model

Hello again everyone! Well it’s been a while but i wanted to share something completely different. I finished another 1:29th scale model, this time for static display, (shame really since I’d love to see this engine actually run) of a Civil War era 4-4-0… but it’s also a cross section model! I’m a big fan of the Incredible Cross Section books by Stephen Biesty as well as museum cutaway exhibits and that’s what inspired me to try modeling something different. You can probably guess it was largely based off of B&O #25 “William Mason”. :wink: it’s not 100% accurate as I’d like it to be but it makes for a nice discussion piece for friends who visit and explain how steam locomotive work, Im also glad the Russia Iron boiler jacket came out the way it did.

~Caleb

Nice job! Something different that is seldom seen in g scale.

Caleb, that is cool! Educational use is a good idea.

What fun! Excellent idea and execution.

Thanks for the pics.

Wow, how cool! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Very cool! It will take som effort to get the old girl running agsin though.

Wow! That looks awesome, great job!

Extremely cool!

That is way cool, and very well done! It would be a great display piece for an open house.

Way cool!

Caleb

I’m sorry that I just originally thanked you for your post so now I’m posting on it to bring it back up as it’s really neat as most of your work usually is!

Caleb, that is really neat!..Where did you get the model at to do the display?

Thank you everyon :slight_smile: I’m thinking of bringing it to the next train show for sure.

Travis Dague said:

Caleb, that is really neat!..Where did you get the model at to do the display?

Other than the steam and sand domes and headlight, the locomotive is entirely scratch built. I was at first thinking of modifying an existing model kit but I wanted to make this truly my own.