Large Scale Central

Site Changes #2A (9/27/2017)

Related to site layout, etc, but separate. For 17 years I’ve been using the old 468x60 ad format, since its pretty universal. However, modern layouts use a whole host of different (and less intrusive) sizes, and I would like to take advantage of that.

So, (and this is longer term), along with site layout changes you may notice our advertisers have smaller ads here and there, in addition to the big one up in the header. This is mostly to make it easier for me to make site layout changes.

It should help with the change to responsive too I would think.

Greg

I don’t know if anyone else has this issue, but occasionally I get ‘waiting for bannerads.largescalecentral.com’ and it will take sometimes 20 seconds to load. Other times I have to kill the tab and completely reload the thread. While tinkering in the ad structures, maybe can you look at that as well.

Thanks.

Yep, thats been a problem for several weeks now. I want to replace the ads structure with something a bit more up to date.

Bob, I am glad to see that you are moving to improve the site, instead of just dumping the whole darn thing and taking up a different hobby.

Thanks again for all you keep doing for this community.

Bob Cope said:

I don’t know if anyone else has this issue, but occasionally I get ‘waiting for bannerads.largescalecentral.com’ and it will take sometimes 20 seconds to load. Other times I have to kill the tab and completely reload the thread. While tinkering in the ad structures, maybe can you look at that as well.

Thanks.

I don’t feel alone now. I just chalked it up to an old computer.

Ken Brunt said:

Bob Cope said:

Thanks.

I don’t feel alone now. I just chalked it up to an old computer.

Me three…

Me four. Just happened a minute ago …

Just happened after a post, I hit send and got a header and white. (with the banner ads note) After a bit I clicked Home and the post showed for 15 seconds before taking me home.

At least it let me know it was posted.

Sharing symptoms.

I’ve disabled the ads while I work on them. Should be back up later tonight.

Bob McCown said:

I’ve disabled the ads while I work on them. Should be back up later tonight.

Still working through them. I need a couple more hours of work to get them back up. They will start trickling in as I work through them. Either later today or tonight, more than likely, for completion.

You take whatever time you need, whenever you can, however you can, at your convenience, not ours…the fact that you’re taking “a couple more hours of work,” and all the other hours of YOUR time, to give us this community is damn way plenty good enough for me.

Bob, I have a feeling that we will be contributing enough ‘hopefully’ to eliminate them altogether.

Might I suggest you hook up the payment plan first?

I think that now that we are ‘aware’ and the last refuge on the local block, your plight could /should be relieved. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)Well, not rich, but even? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ads are now serving through the new adserver. Go back to your lives, citizens.

And you can subscribe to the new plan, I just did, so all is good, done and done.

Greg

Bob,

Question, does the newly elected plan (and it’s payment and eventual badge) kick in immediately? Or when the current / prior plan expires some months down the road?

Also, is there any tie-in between the monthly donation opportunity (from the home page) and the equivalent aggregate level presented in the Settings \ Subscription page? Probably not, and I ask only because it’s easier for me to do the monthly thing. I’ll work with you either way though.

Great program Bob, good moves. I’d like to see you not only have the site easily pay for itself, but to make at least some return for the hours you put in. “The laborer is worthy of his wages” (I Timothy 5:18b). (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Cliff

It doesnt tie in directly, but I’m working on a system where “direct donators” are recognized somehow…