Large Scale Central

Hazardous Waste Plant

As some “Fiends and Fanatics” may be well aware, Young Bruce Chandler, the CEO of a bottled water plant, and liquid hazardous waste facility, is constantly seeking new business at his Cedar Rock plant. His success with business here has determined that new unloading equipment was needed, and more storage tanks had to be obtained.

The IPP&W has rebuilt part of the trackage at Cedar Rock, and added the siding for unloading tank cars. Some of the major plumbing has been designed, and installed. More is coming. Two major tanks are being constructed, and the property is being extended towards Peter’s Pond.

For those greatly concerned with pollution and waste management, it is reported that fish stocks in the lake are increasing daily, in spite of Norton"s Fishery’s daily extraction of at least a ton. No-one has complained of the quality of the fish, and no human has passed away so far this year, due to consuming the fish products.

All this success in business is largely due to the great rail transportation provided by the joint services of “The Ironwood Peter’s Pond & Western railroad”, and its short line partner, “The Rat Portage & Mattawa Railroad”

I hope this thread can gradually bring everyone up-to-date, through pictures and reports of the progress of the building program, in the near future. All has to be complete before the Winter embargo, which can come anytime after the first few weeks of October, although some seem to think we may build and operate much later due to climate change.

Stay tuned, we do have photographers on staff !!

Fr.Fred

As, according to some folk, a fanatic - but also hopefully a friend - this all sounds a good expansion. As a fish lover - to watch and eat - I welcome those comments. However, one point you did not mention - although living a great distance from this facility so it would not affect me - is how “aromatic” is this waste facility?

So far there have been no reports of a great stench, at least no more than one would get from a poultry operation, or a “Pig Factory”.

No complaints from the neighbours…and Jean Chandler has not complained…!! Bruce Chandler should be proud of his very successful enterprise, and I’m sure he is.

Fr.Fred

Expansion of rail traffic is always a welcome site. Great switching puzzles and challenges with traffic patterns and Dispatchers, that just want to get on to kabitizing and sitting around, instead of controlling the traffic must also be dealt with. Life, you participate or watch it go by. Your choice.

More on the “Sewage and Sludge Works…aka…Hazardous Waste Plant Project”.

I hauled out two short sections of plastic, thick walled sewer or water pipe. Each is about 12-14 inches in diameter. I have been storing them with the idea of using them for LARGE liquid storage tanks. I was given them after asking, at a construction site, many years ago. Each is about 18" long or slightly less.

Just what the HW plant needs for increasing capacity, with all the business it is faced with !!

One of the pipes has a “Top” on it made from pine boards, and the other will be found with a plywood top, as soon as a friend returns it to me at the end of the week. I started to paint the first one, using a rattle can of white spray paint, and it is starting to look better than the light green the plastic pipe was, and the lid, just slightly weather Pine. I’ve started planning for signage for the tanks, as Mr Chandler is rather particular about signage on his plants…!!

Another thing happened; one of the guys showed up with a large chimney, and a boiler house (Piko) that he had no use for, so another possible addition…

I hope for others to share ideas for this project, and possibly find motivation to start projects of their own. What about a smoke unit for the chimney…

The ore dock project was just a start, and is not finished yet, but the Summer season here, has seemed to be extended…but a lot of these outdoor projects can be carried on indoors, when the weather gets bad…after all we get snow and cold temperatures here in Ottawa…!!

Jump in guys, and keep the humor coming…I hope to have a few pictures posted by Steve McKenzie, after the coming weekend…if I can persuade him with a bheer or three…!!

Fred Mills

Bheer did Fred say bheer??? Here’s a shot of the area before the new changes from Mike’s blog.

Fred Mills, SOG said:

The IPP&W has rebuilt part of the trackage at Cedar Rock, and added the siding for unloading tank cars. Some of the major plumbing has been designed, and installed. More is coming. Two major tanks are being constructed, and the property is being extended towards Peter’s Pond.

For those greatly concerned with pollution and waste management, it is reported that fish stocks in the lake are increasing daily, in spite of Norton"s Fishery’s daily extraction of at least a ton. No-one has complained of the quality of the fish, and no human has passed away so far this year, due to consuming the fish products.

Stay tuned, we do have photographers on staff !!

Fr.Fred

So basically, you designed your railroad like a woman? You put a sewage facility right next to a play area and it smells of fish?

I hadn’t quite thought of it in that way…but some wags have suggested that the air is not to be compared in smell, with anything like a poultry farm, or a hog ranch…

No complaints have been made to the health authorities, so far !!

Fred Mills, SOG said:

So far there have been no reports of a great stench, at least no more than one would get from a poultry operation, or a “Pig Factory”.

No complaints from the neighbours…and Jean Chandler has not complained…!! Bruce Chandler should be proud of his very successful enterprise, and I’m sure he is.

Fr.Fred

Well, proud that I am still able to make a profit. At least nobody has ever complained about the product, though are very few repeat customers.

If you missed it, here’s what the current works looks like…

As I understand it, Fred is adding two very large tanks. I think he rejected my idea of labeling them #1 and #2.

But he would like some sort of design on them. I’m not very good at artistic design, but I’m not too bad at searching the net…

So, maybe some of these pictures on the tanks?

Perhaps a different “drop” on each tank?

Or paint the tank to resemble something like this?

Ideas anyone?

for one of them .