Large Scale Central

My wife, Cris

Sorry for going off-topic but I need to vent about a difficult situation…

Last Tuesday (9/6) my wife Cris went into the hospital for surgery to correct a bowel problem. The surgery itself went well and there are no complications directly related to that. However…as some of you may recall she has several health issues, and the biggest of these is that she is severely bipolar. She has a lengthy list of medications to control it, and this regimen must be adhered to very strictly. It’s taken years to work out the combination of meds that work best for her specific case.

Following the surgery, she was in the hospital for a week, during which time they refused to give her one of her meds, a certain sleep aid. In addition, undergoing surgery, being hospitalized, and having her life and daily routine disrupted was already putting stress on her. The last couple days she was there I told the nurse that I was concerned about changes I was seeing in her mental state. She was discharged Monday evening, and I felt that getting her home and back on her complete cycle of meds would soon set things right.

But that night she began having strange sleepwalking episodes. During one of these she fell and smashed her face into the corner of the dresser. I found her sitting on the edge of the bed, fully asleep, with her face bloody and blood all over the floor. She had a huge gash on her forehead down to the bone, and long, deep cuts on her upper lip. Her mouth was so full of blood I couldn’t tell if she had lost a tooth or something.

This was about 1 a.m. I had to get her into the car and drive her to the ER, while she’s groggily protesting that she doesn’t need to go to the hospital. We were in the ER all night, and she was readmitted into the hospital about 8 a.m. Tuesday morning.

On top of everything else, the stress and lack of sleep apparently caught up with me while she was still in the ER, because I suddenly got very dizzy, then blacked out. I woke up on a gurney, hooked up to a monitor, with people asking me all the usual questions: “Can you tell us your name?” “What’s your date of birth?” “Do you have a history of fainting?” etc. Very embarrassing.

Later that morning I returned home to try to get a little sleep. When I returned, I find out that the hospital’s staff psychiatrist got the bright idea to cut off all but one of her meds! I told them to have the guy contact me, but I didn’t hear from him until this morning. He tells me he couldn’t get ahold of Cris’ regular psychiatrist (and he never bother to call me, despite Cris specifically telling him that I manage her care and he needed to contact me before doing anything.) Now her mental state has deteriorated badly and is still getting worse.

So today I tried calling her shrink myself, and was told that he’s out of town and unavailable until the 22nd! But they would have his assistant call me. I finally got a call from her about 8 o’clock this evening. She was shocked and appalled that this guy cut off Cris’ meds, which is very dangerous. In fact, with one of them, cutting it off cold like that can cause seizures! Also, once it’s been stopped, she can’t just restart it at full strength. The dosage has to be built up in small increments over a period of many weeks. Even after reaching full strength it takes time for it to build up an effective level in her body. So just with cutting off that one med alone, means she’s going to be seriously messed up and in misery for a long time. In which case there’s a strong possibility she could end up in a full-blown psychotic state requiring ECT treatments.

Also, I was told that the reason she was sleepwalking was most likely the result of them not giving her that sleeping pill the whole week she was there following the surgery.

As you can imagine, I am extremely upset about the way this has been handled. Tonight I made it clear that I want the hospital’s quack off her case, and tomorrow I intend to have some serious discussions with the hospital administration.

BTW, I know some of this stuff might be considered “personal info”, but Cris has always been very open about her illness. We both feel it’s the only way to counter the stigma that tends to be attached to mental health issues.

Ray, will be keeping you and your wife in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there…

Please accept a pule ho’ouluulu (prayer of healing) from the Pacific, Ray!

Hello Ray,

A dreadful account of what happened to both of you. Be assured prayer and best wishes are winging their way across the pond for you both.

Keep as well as you can Ray, you know you need to for Chris’s sake. May Chris soon be on a road to a good recovery.

Ray,

Prayers for both of you. It is quite evident the two of you have a long, hard road ahead under the best of circumstances. Cris is lucky to have such a loving and understanding husband.

Jim

Ray

You and Cris will be in my thoughts. The both of you (especially Cris) have been medically wronged by this hospital. I suggest you consult an attorney. It sounds like you may have a good case of medical malpractice here. I sincerely hope Cris is not permanently damaged by this episode!

Ray, here is hoping both of you recover from this quickly. It is to bad you were put in this situation by the people who are supposed to help you. Keep on fighting the good fight.

Chris

Ray:

Our prayers are with you and Cris.

Best wishes, Ray. How frustrating this unnecessary difficulty must be.

There’s a cautionary tale here and thanks for that. My dad was a doctor, a GP, my mom was an intensive care nurse, my ex-wife is a doctor, and I can verify from personal experience that doctors and veterinarians (we lost our family dog in April because the vet didn’t know about the need for probiotics) not only do not always know what’s best but sometimes their incompetence is exceeded only by their arrogance. I don’t mean to be mean here or trash out doctors, but sometimes the patient knows best.

Thoughts and prayers for you and Cris, Ray.

Will keep you and Chris in our prayers

Will be hoping for the best, and I completely understand the medication situation. It seems nowadays, you have to police everything yourself, since there are a lot of people who think they know everything and your personal experience, the person who has lived with the situation, is for naught.

My wife and I would both be dead if we had listened to the first quack that “diagnosed” us.

Hang in there Ray, and also take your blood pressure… don’t ask me how I know…

Regards, Greg

So sorry to hear of this ordeal. Know that you and Cris are in my prayers. I also sent you an email to your AOL address.

Oh man, that’s tough. My prayers and best wishes for both of you.

Be Blessed.

John

Ray, I hope they get their act together and this gets sorted out, sometimes I am astonished at how some medical professionals cannot be bothered to actually look at a patients med records.

Ray,

Prayers for you and your wife.

I wish you both the best!

Prayers for you and Chris.

Rarely do i recommend a malpractice suit, but this will be an exception. Find a good malpractice attorney. This was malpractice, both on the part of the hospital, and the shrink. Money is not the issue, incompetence is.

Ray, prayers for the best outcome, and I second the advice to contact a very competent Medical Malpractice attorney. They ( the hospital) cannot be let off on this, especially going against your wishes on who can decide these things. I really hope things are sorted out quickly, your wife fully recovers quickly and they hang the idiot that changed her meds. Do not let up on them, or the next time someone will be hurt worse… prayers

Oh my, Ray! Even with my having the trifecta of autism, bipolar, and PTSD, never have I had a paid professional be that, well, I’m going to call it arrogant and reckless. And for those same reasons I definitely feel for y’all. The turmoil Cris is going to end up going through because of this (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)that’s wrong, wrong, wrong. Just plain Wrong!

Cutting off meds because you can’t get hold of a person’s regular doctor is nonsensical, undo it because you do not have the full information why it was done sounds a lot like “We bulldozed this flood wall because we couldn’t contact the contractor who built it.”

Here’s wishes of comfort, peace, healing, restoration, justice, to y’all.