Large Scale Central

New Bachmann power trucks for the eggliners

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new bachmann power trucks for the eggliners ( and the old aristo U25B/FA1/FB1/RS3)?

I was thinking of getting a pair or two but was wondering how they are.

Cheers

Mike

Are you thinking of ordering them as a separate/replacement part?

Greg

Greg,

I have a pair of Aristo RS3’s and a pair of spare NOS stock trucks for each loco. I was thinking of ordering them as back ups for these locos. These blocks appear to have the side tabs that will fit into my truck side frames. RLD website sayys thay are for the U25B/FA1/FB1/RS3.

regards

Mike

So far they appear identical. Since Kader who owns Bachmann also made these for Aristo, sounds like a go!

The wheel plating does appear different.

Greg

Different? Better or worse?

It looks more even, the original Aristo “black chrome” plating was thick and uneven, this looks better

BUT

Only time will tell if it is better or worse in terms of conductivity, how it attracts dirt, and wear…

Greg

Mike Lafferty said:

I have a pair of Aristo RS3’s and a pair of spare NOS stock trucks for each loco. I was thinking of ordering them as back ups for these locos. These blocks appear to have the side tabs that will fit into my truck side frames. RLD website sayys thay are for the U25B/FA1/FB1/RS3.

regards

Mike

Mike,

The newer motor blocks characterized by their ball bearings and side tabs (mounting ears) need to be adapted to the older “A” frames with some method like either standoffs or spacer blocks. The wire color codes and motor block connectors that vary as to what generation or production run loco can also be different, and when hooking everything up attention must be paid to correct electrical polarization for the track power wheel pickups as well as the motors.

In this regard, today, I successfully completed upgrading an early version RS-3 with Aristo’s stainless steel wheels that included entire ball bearing type motor blocks having the mounting ears (P/N ART-29139) - that’s they way they marketed it then! This motor block is like the new replacement Bachmann one, except for the wheel material and flange dept and differing connectors.

Since the ball bearing motor blocks can support more weight, I increased my old version RS-3 weight to 9 & 1/2 pounds, which is virtually the same as late factory Aristo RS-3 ball bearing production run version.

I will be doing a write up (vignette) soon with full description, but it will take a bit of time to compile. As usual, this vignette will be published on Greg E’s Web site when completed.

-Ted

Ah. Thanks

Ted Doskaris said:

Mike Lafferty said:

regards

Mike

Mike,

The newer motor blocks characterized by their ball bearings and side tabs (mounting ears) need to be adapted to the older “A” frames with some method like either standoffs or spacer blocks. The wire color codes and motor block connectors that vary as to what generation or production run loco can also be different, and when hooking everything up attention must be paid to correct electrical polarization for the track power wheel pickups as well as the motors.

In this regard, today, I successfully completed upgrading an early version RS-3 with Aristo’s stainless steel wheels that included entire ball bearing type motor blocks having the mounting ears (P/N ART-29139) - that’s they way they marketed it then! This motor block is like the new replacement Bachmann one, except for the wheel material and flange dept and differing connectors.

Since the ball bearing motor blocks can support more weight, I increased my old version RS-3 weight to 9 & 1/2 pounds, which is virtually the same as late factory Aristo RS-3 ball bearing production run version.

I will be doing a write up (vignette) soon with full description, but it will take a bit of time to compile. As usual, this vignette will be published on Greg E’s Web site when completed.

-Ted

Ted

One of my Rs3’s has the old style power truck/block where the truck side frames took the weight of the loco by holding the axle ends in bushings. The bushings also acted as part of the power-pick up system. The other RS3 has the newer design where the motor block takes all the weight of the loco. These newer motor blocks have the plastic “wings” or tabs that scew into the side frames. I have two NOS pairs of the newer design and can use these side frames in the future to upgrade the older loco. I think these new ones by bachmann/Kader are the exact fit for the newer side frames. I am going to order a couple of sets from RLD and give them a test. I will let everyone know how they workout.

Mike

I thought he was asking if the Bachmann - provided ones were ok as compared to the Aristo ones they replaced, the ball bearing version of the Aristo’s, not the older type.

Ted, please give us the results of your inspection of these blocks.

Greg

Greg,

Then I misunderstood. The newer blocks I have are the Aristo SS wheel ones with ball bearings. They have the side ears like the Bachmann block. I don’t have the Bachmann blocks yet, but if someone is interested in using them as replacements in the older version locos that had fully sprung trucks supported at the axle tips, then the issues will be the same as what I encountered when installing the new Aristo BB blocks in my RS-3.

That said, there still may be connector differences with the Bachmann blocks when using them as replacements for Aristo blocks having like kind mounting ears.

-Ted

Not implying you misunderstood, maybe it’s my interpretation.

In any case, it will be interesting to get a 1 to 1 comparison with the latest Aristo “standard production” blocks, the run of replacement blocks that came with SS wheels, and the new ones sold by Bachmann.

I sense a Vignette coming!!

Greg

My interpretation of the OP question is "Will the NEW Bachmann Eggliner power brick fit the ARISTO RS3 (regardless of which production run)? IMHO until someone purchases one and does a caliper side by side, the best answer is ‘DUNNO’. From appearance it resembles the Aristo brick…but this is China we are talking about.

Carnac should reread Ted’s reply to Mike on the 10th! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Greg Elmassian said:

-snip-

I sense a Vignette coming!!

Greg

Yep, a little joke between Ted and I… I have to prepare some directories and web site menu structure, so that was meant to convey to Ted that I will prepare now, not just in the future some time.

With over 80 vignettes on my site, Ted and I work well together…

Greg

p.s. I miss Carnac…

If you ditch cable you can/maybe get Carnac off of the airways. Digital has opened up a ton of ‘Repeat TV’! Johhny is on every night over here!

I sensed a bit of advertising too… a wink and a nudge. I miss the Python’s more.

John

Ignore the previous post please - oops

Ok

I “unboxed” one of my NOS aristo motor blocks for the RS3 and snapped a pic. (right) On the left it is the pic from the RLD website. Looks spot on to me. I’m going to order a pair from RLD tonight. I’ll let everyone know how they work

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/file/view/5089/image2-jpg)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/file/view/5089/image2-jpg)

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/file/view/5089/image2-jpg)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/sh/file/5089/mepQeZfh56)

Gotta figure this picture thing out…ahhh

OK - on the top…NOS Aristo block for the newer generation RS3

On the bottom…Pic of power brick from RLD

Finally figured out the picture thing.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_6661/Mlaff/image2.JPG)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_6661/Mlaff/RLD.jpg)

Mike;

Did you receive my message ?

Fred