Large Scale Central

Accucraft 1:20.3 passenger cars.

I need a refresher course on how to remove the roof of an Accucraft 1:20.3 passenger car. It’s been a while (years) since I did one.

Thanks!

John,

I’m assuming you mean the AMS J&S coaches. Turn the car upside down and remove the 8 screws (4 on each side) that mount the shell to the floor. Here is the floor removed from an AMS combine.

In the above photo, you can see two of the holes in the mounting tabs at the top and two at the bottom. You can also see screws that attach roof to the shell. There are eight of them also. Note: In case you think the lights look funny, it’s because I removed the stock incandescent lights and replaced them with LEDs.

Bob

Thank you Bob!, That is my plan as well: LED’s.

To add to Bob’s description - the early coaches had the metal floor sprung in the groove at the bottom of the coach side, so you had to pry it out after removing the screws. The later runs had a much reduced groove making it easier.

There’s a bunch of info on the G.A.L. website where I put some construction notes. Try this doc:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxlYnRpbmZuM3xneDo1YzMxYjkyNmY3MGE2YTYw