Forums General Articles
  • Topic: Build Log, Babs River Railway

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 24, 2017 8:52 PM EDT
      • edited for your approval, Arizona

• Thanks

I am contemplating building a suitable foot bridge to keep feet off the tracks, but that will detract from the look of the area, so maaybe just some steps and a concrete spot where walking on the tracks will do no harm. Still running diffferent ideas around. We shall see what idea sticks. The area in the "plan" is the narrowest spot on the RR so it is the best spot for people to cross there, just have to work out the details. As you can see I have plenty of time before that needs to be addressed.. I noticed Diesel Dude, John, Louand David are coming, but have not said when to order the fill dirt

This post was edited by Pete Lassen at October 24, 2017 8:53 PM EDT

Butt Modeler #2

• October 24, 2017 9:43 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

I am? Am I?

I like my steak medium, and my iced tea unsweetened.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• October 25, 2017 11:16 PM EDT
      • Obviously, A Fictitious Name

• Thanks

So Pete, which way does the Babs river run- towards the patio or away from the patio?

-Kevin 

• October 26, 2017 9:41 PM EDT

• Thanks

yes,  from the north side of the mountain and then to the patio. I keep thinking about a "pondless basin" at the patio, with a waterfall off into the basin. I need to work out how to waterproof the backside of the falls, and if this area is a prime viewing area, which I hope with the bridges you can see from there, making a pondless basin there poses a lot of problems, specifically how to have it there and keep someone from stepping into it and breaking an ankle. Large sago plants probably have roots into that area slso which will not help with digging the basin.

Hmmmmm I have not thought about it going the opposite way before, but it might be a bigger,longer feature If I send it off the mountain and then to the north west.  I shall look at things differnetly tomorrow and see if Dieseldude valley needs a river running through it... hurry with your thread so I can copy it get inspiration from your work.

Butt Modeler #2

• October 28, 2017 6:19 AM EDT
      • Obviously, A Fictitious Name

• Thanks

I was originally going to do a pondless water feature for the Iron Island as well, but I caved and put in a small pond at the bottom of the river.  If nothing else, it might be another place to add some scenery.  

I was looking at your sketch and thought that if you placed the top (mountain) part of the water feature along the north wall or in the north west corner, you could more easily view it from the patio, the viewing area, and the pool.  The bottom pond could be located at the viewing area, or you could extent it all the way to the patio.  Of course, I'm just looking at a sketch.  Things may look different in real life.  If you move the water feature from its current location, you could place your access steps from the patio to the viewing area there.  As for the big heavy rock in the viewing area, maybe you could incorporate it into the steps leading down into the viewing area.  Place it next to the steps, throw in a plant or two around it, and tell everyone that you meant to do it.  Borrowed scenery.

Dieseldude Valley, huh.  It's got a nice ring to it.  You’re a visionary.

-Kevin.

• November 3, 2017 6:55 PM EDT

• Thanks

while working on layout last weekend the Boss came out with a glass of water, sat down and watched me work. I was discussing things with her about needing another pallet of blocks when she we decided that by knocking off 1 layerfrom 4 to 3 rows , we could save $$$ the extra pallet cost, plus maybe some of the 40+tons of dirt needed. So with new work orderin  hand and a sip of her "water"things begin to take shape

Looking from the north the layout was to end where the red rake is leaning against the wall, but after counting the # of blocks on hand I had enough to make my rail yard which you can see has been lined out with blocks. it winds up as about 20 feet long by3 ft wide, more than enough for 4 tracks and room for some type of engine facility. The plastic shed is going to be insulated with 1 to 2" foam sheets in hopes that it will be cool enough for RR cars to be housed there. The interior wall has not been brought down to the new height.

On the right you can see 1 of the 2 oleanders have been removed, but the second one is close to my Ficus tree and the roots are all over the place and giving me fits trying to remove it without killing or injuring the tree I want to keep. Me, Spectracide and my Sawzall will be giving it a go this weekend, if I get a chance.

Butt Modeler #2

• November 6, 2017 11:30 AM EST
      • Easton , Massachusetts

• Thanks

My you-tube

The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

• November 6, 2017 1:29 PM EST
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

I leave cars out year round, inside my wooden car barn and there hasn't been one snitch of heat related damage. Now critters getting in and eating the details, that's a different tale!

John

The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

Forums General Articles

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google