Forums General Track and Trestles
  • Topic: Titebond 3 glue

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 24, 2017 10:06 PM EDT
      • Cleveland, , Mississippi

• Thanks

Titebond 3 glue

Has anyone used Titebond 3 glue for outside wood projects? I need to replace a Through Truss trestle bridge made out of styrene. I want to replace it with one made out of wood. I understand that Titebond 3 glue will hold up outside in the weather. Just wondering if it holds up as advertised. Thanks

• August 24, 2017 10:14 PM EDT
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

I have good luck with it in S. Az, but I also use pin nails when the wood is thick enough.

John

John

The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

• August 24, 2017 11:11 PM EDT
      • Saint Helena, CALIFORNIA

• Thanks

You might try a search for a term such as "titebond II vs III".  

• August 25, 2017 12:31 AM EDT
      • Scottsdale, Arizona

• Thanks

I have used Titebond III on many of my wood working projects as well as the building that I have made for my layout.  I have not had a problem.  I am also in Arizona, but we are currently going through our Monsoon season which can be very wet followed by high heat the next day.  Some of the structures I have built have been outside for over 4 years.  So I will go out on a limb and say that it is better than white glue and titebond II.

This post was edited by Colin Criswell at August 25, 2017 12:33 AM EDT
    • August 25, 2017 7:56 AM EDT
      • Marysville, Kansas

• Thanks

I have used Titebond II and III on my wood structures.  I would recommend TB III for the added protection it offers.  Also like John mentioned, I use a pinner to secure joints while the glue is drying.

Chris

• August 25, 2017 10:48 AM EDT
      • Spokane Valley, Washington St.

• Thanks

I use III on all my outdoor structures. Plus pins, brads and other miniature fasteners (Specifically on the bridges) No prollems what so ever.

• August 25, 2017 10:40 PM EDT
      • Cleveland, , Mississippi

• Thanks

Great, thanks. I had thought the extra security of brads or pins would be a plus. I have some thin sheet metal and had thought about cutting some gussets for intersecting beams to add strength also.

• October 10, 2017 7:51 PM EDT
      • Pinon Hills, California

• Thanks

I use a lot of Titebond !!! and have been very happy with it. It is a great product here on the desert.

• October 10, 2017 8:37 PM EDT
      • Missouri

• Thanks

Ron Hill said:

Has anyone used Titebond 3 glue for outside wood projects? I need to replace a Through Truss trestle bridge made out of styrene. I want to replace it with one made out of wood. I understand that Titebond 3 glue will hold up outside in the weather. Just wondering if it holds up as advertised. Thanks

Maybe I'm overly easy to amuse but I can see ad video where they use Titebond to assemble some Titebond signs, "Now that we've used Titebond to assemble our signs here, let's see how it holds up the advertising."

• October 10, 2017 9:26 PM EDT
      • Settle Down Boomer ,

• Thanks

Doug Arnold said:

I use a lot of Titebond !!! and have been very happy with it. It is a great product here on the desert.

What you do behind closed doors is no ones business but yours , ewer's Doug!

• October 10, 2017 9:55 PM EDT
      • Lewiston, NY

• Thanks

I have been impressed with each release of a new Titebond product. I use them on clean tight fitting wood joints that I clamp and fasten when possible. If the joint is not new or is not snug, I would go with some of the epoxy type glues that can fill and bind better. Maybe a big issue will be where in the country we are discussing. Up in the Northeast with our winters, nothing lasts forever outside. When I was in Phoenix, AZ., I was amazed at some of the older structures that survived. There, the sun and heat are the big concerns. Here, water infiltrating and freezing causes all sorts of issues. ( Coat the heck out of it with outdoor poly or paint!)

So I'm not a big fan of wood structures made to use outside up here. Stainless, would be the cat's arse. With wood, the clock is ticking.

• October 11, 2017 7:55 AM EDT
      • Shut up Rooster

• Thanks

Titebond III works great in the Northeast and seems to take all the weather extremes we get.  They key is to clamp or add weight for a half hour.  It really makes a difference in the bond.  Ill use the pin nailer in areas where I can clamp or use weight.  

This post was edited by Shawn Viggiano at October 11, 2017 7:55 AM EDT
    • November 13, 2017 3:03 PM EST
      • Farmington, New Mexico

• Thanks

I have also used it's "waterproof" feature as a waterproofer!  Paint two coats on something that you want to keep the weather out of.   I use on my pikes, wood roofs as a sealant under the shingles, and on all edges of plywood before painting.   Hasn't failed yet.

If you go to the Titebond website and read up on the difference between type II  and III  you would understand the BIG difference between the two.  To be designated as a waterproof glue, it has to pass some ridiculous testing.  Including boiling for hours of the glued joint without failing, and if that wasn't enough it has to do the boil test several times, and still not fail.

New Mexico­ Northern ­Railroad
      D&RGW ­315 Crew ­member, Fireman
      RRR #4
      Board Memb­er, Durang­o Railroad­ Historica­l Society

Forums General Track and Trestles

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google