Forums General Articles
  • Topic: BUILDING THE C & AV, or, WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 8, 2017 2:23 AM EDT
      • Martinez, California

• Thanks

Building the C & AV, or, What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

So, I have been lurking around on the forums for years, my first layout having been destroyed in a flood around 2009 and reincarnated as my wife’s flower garden. As I am now retired with a bit of time on my hands, I am starting in earnest to build the Carquinez & Alhambra Valley Railroad. I live in Martinez, California, a stop on the Transcontinental Railroad, the home of John Muir, the birthplace of Joe DiMaggio, and, strong rumor has it, the martini. As a history buff, I am loosely modeling early twentieth century Martinez (with a few liberties here and there).

My space is limited and phase one is a simple loop about 12’x30’ just to get something up. It will eventually triple in length and go up the side of a hill. I model in 1/24 scale and have been designing several structures using SketchUp and other digital tools. Included among these are the John Muir house, the original train station, the Alhambra Natural Mineral Water Co., and the 1901 Contra Costa County Courthouse and Jail. Here are some photos of the originals and one of the SU sketches. If anyone watches 13 Reasons Why on Netflix, season two will feature the modern day versions of the courthouse and jail.

Alhambra Natural Mineral Water Co

Alhambra Natural Mineral Water 1903

This post was edited by Gregory Hile at August 14, 2017 11:34 PM EDT

Carquinez & Alhambra Valley RR

• August 8, 2017 9:28 AM EDT
      • Central, Kansas

• Thanks

Welcome. Be sure to post progress pictures as you go along.

• August 8, 2017 9:51 AM EDT
      • East Brunswick, N J RRR#22

• Thanks

Welcome, indeed. You are in a good place.

• August 8, 2017 10:09 AM EDT
      • Martinez, California

• Thanks

Thanks! Like I said, I have been around for several years but have rarely posted. Looking forward to being more active.

• August 8, 2017 10:41 AM EDT
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Welcome aboard. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• August 8, 2017 10:50 AM EDT
      • Paraguay

• Thanks

welcome.

judging from your pics we hopefully will see a lot from you in the modeling subforum.

My Chaosplace ->  

• August 11, 2017 2:56 AM EDT
      • Martinez, California

• Thanks

Thanks everyone! What intrigued me about the water company building was the white on blue sign all around the building. To create that I plan on using my daughter's Cricut die-cutter to mask over the lettering. I didn't even know what a Cricut was until last week when I made a bunch of 2 inch vinyl dots for my granddaughter's Minnie Mouse push car. I will be checking out the capabilities and limitations of the cutter and would like to also be able to use the print and cut feature to create signs that could then be transferred to a styrene or PVC sheet.

I have also started creating foundations for some of the buildings out of the pink Foamular board available from Home Depot. One of the issues with foam core I have been looking at is the ability to paint it. When I created Minnie's mouse ears and bow out of 1" and .5" inch Foamular, respectively, I had forgotten about the need to paint it with latex house paint. I used Krylon rattle cans and while there was some reaction, it wasn't all that bad (not to mention the fact that (1) they were mouse ears, and (2) the kid is only 2 years old).

However, I really don't want to use house paint, so I started researching and looking for alternatives. Another paint that apparently will hold up is water-based acrylic. I did a test with some Tamiya black using just a brush and there were no problems. Tomorrow I will set up the airbrush and do a more extensive test. I also need to see if a UV protective top coat will eat through the acrylic and cause damage.

The reason for doing this is that I would like to paint sidewalks directly onto the foam board. We'll see if that is possible or whether I'll need a plan B.

• August 11, 2017 7:17 AM EDT
      • Shut up Rooster

• Thanks

Looking forward to your progress.  Always great to see new layouts being built.  

• August 11, 2017 10:23 AM EDT
      • Paraguay

• Thanks

depending on what one is building, sometimes it makes sense to "paint" the whole foam surface with diluted white glue, then painting or spraying with mineral based paints.

My Chaosplace ->  

• August 11, 2017 11:50 AM EDT
      • Martinez, California

• Thanks

That's a good idea. Another one being the various concrete patch materials. Mostly the foam boards will be used as the foundation for buildings that will be sitting on top of it. However, there will be other uses, as well. So, in the courthouse complex, for example, there is a border around the building, as well as an elevated walkway, that would be perfect for the foam board. 

2017-08-11.png (259.32 Kb)
      This post was edited by Gregory Hile at August 11, 2017 11:53 AM EDT

Forums General Articles

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google