Forums Power and Sound Electronics
  • Topic: Fake Back Lighting

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 25, 2017 9:35 PM EDT
      • Marysville, Kansas

• Thanks

Fake Back Lighting

I have an item going on the depot that would naturally be back lit.   Problem is, the model I have is of opaque material that won't permit it.  As an alternative, I was thinking of using some SMDs and lighting from the side, to simulate a back lit face.

Has anyone attempted this?   This is what I'm thinking of using: Warm White SMDs

Chris

• July 26, 2017 9:22 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I never have Chris. However I will throw another alternative out there. What about a gooseneck lamp above the item? That would be period appropriate as well. (assuming its a sign of some sort)

• July 26, 2017 9:15 PM EDT
      • Marysville, Kansas

• Thanks

Rooster,

It is a clock face (don't know why I didn't say that in the OP) that I'm trying to light.  Dennis made the face on his laser, and it is a beautiful piece.  He cut the minute ticks thru so you can back light it and they will show.  Thru some serious scientific testing, it looks like the tick marks show up great, but you can't really see the hands.  So I was trying to come up with another way to light the face, and thought of lighting it from the side.  Similar method to an old watch.

Chris

• July 27, 2017 5:34 AM EDT
      • KENILWORTH, WARWICKSHIRE UK. Just up the road from Stratford-Upon-Avon

• Thanks

I also found this.. might be useful and avail in different colours...http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/glow-in-the-dark-sheet.

More than likely available in the  US

This post was edited by Ross Mansell at July 27, 2017 5:43 AM EDT
    • July 27, 2017 6:51 AM EDT
      • right here, Pa

• Thanks

IF you have the room, use a tube slightly deeper than the face is thick and a bit larger than the diameter of the face. place a clear lens on the tube and support the face on the other end of the tube with a couple pieces of wire glued to the back of the clock face and long enough to span the tube which will leave a slight ring around the edges of the face. place your LED or light bulb on the back of the face. Add a second piece of tube and a cap for the back and the light will appear to be surrounding the edge of the clock face and should be enough to show off the face.

Or you can get real inventive and sand one side of a clear plastic rod and make a ring of light by placing a bulb at one end of the rod

Forums Power and Sound Electronics

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google