Large Scale Central

Fake Back Lighting

I have an item going on the depot that would naturally be back lit. Problem is, the model I have is of opaque material that won’t permit it. As an alternative, I was thinking of using some SMDs and lighting from the side, to simulate a back lit face.

Has anyone attempted this? This is what I’m thinking of using: Warm White SMDs

Chris

I never have Chris. However I will throw another alternative out there. What about a gooseneck lamp above the item? That would be period appropriate as well. (assuming its a sign of some sort)

Rooster,

It is a clock face (don’t know why I didn’t say that in the OP) that I’m trying to light. Dennis made the face on his laser, and it is a beautiful piece. He cut the minute ticks thru so you can back light it and they will show. Thru some serious scientific testing, it looks like the tick marks show up great, but you can’t really see the hands. So I was trying to come up with another way to light the face, and thought of lighting it from the side. Similar method to an old watch.

Chris

I also found this… might be useful and avail in different colours…http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/glow-in-the-dark-sheet.

More than likely available in the US

IF you have the room, use a tube slightly deeper than the face is thick and a bit larger than the diameter of the face. place a clear lens on the tube and support the face on the other end of the tube with a couple pieces of wire glued to the back of the clock face and long enough to span the tube which will leave a slight ring around the edges of the face. place your LED or light bulb on the back of the face. Add a second piece of tube and a cap for the back and the light will appear to be surrounding the edge of the clock face and should be enough to show off the face.

Or you can get real inventive and sand one side of a clear plastic rod and make a ring of light by placing a bulb at one end of the rod(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Chris

Hopefully you have at least one inch of space behind the clock face. There is one method of lighting signs I developed back in 2005 on my HO modular layout. It uses the same technology as backlit signs on commercial buildings. It will do a clock face as well.

Since it is a clock with a round face, you need a round plastic styrene tube of the same size as the face. Plug one end with a round piece of sheet styrene. Drill 3mm holes in the end. The 3mm leds will be glued into these holes or hole. The layout of the holes will be so the leds are at least 1/2’’ apart. The led(s) will be lighting the inside of the tube.

Once the leds are glued in place, fill the tube with clear silicone caulking. The caulk acts as a light diffusing material. It will also act as a glue of the clock face. The caulk dries overnight.

The clock face is made on your home computer with your preferred drawing program. You then print the image on clear overhead transparency material. To seal the ink permanently to the transparency, use Testor’s DullCoat. Cut the image & set it on the end of the tube into the caulk.

Your building will have a hole cut into the side of the wall where you want to glue the tube into place.

Since you are working with leds and it is an illumination project, test as you go so that you have the desired effect & your electrical is a ok once complete.

Use black paint to hide any light coming through the wrong places.