Large Scale Central

Shopping Question

Are there any decent hobby/train stores that carry G scale stuff in the Bay Area of Northern California?? Heading there next week and it would be nice to check out place or two.

Richard

No doubt, the best shops are in Southern California.

Recommend calling first if looking for something specific because inventory varies widely between stores. There’s one called “The Train Shop” in Santa Clara. “Just Trains” is in Concord. “Railroad Hobbies” in Roseville. “R/C Country Hobbies” in Sacramento. “Dollhouses, Trains & More” in Novato and San Rafael. “Talbot’s Toyland” in San Mateo. “Loose Caboose” in Napa.

My go-to source for parts/accessories: “Garden Railway Supply” In Pleasant Hill: http://www.gardenrrsupply.com/

Echo post.

Echo post again.

Thanks Michael…I’ll try to look up one or two of the shops you mentioned.

Richard

All of the stores I mentioned above carry very small inventories of G-scale products. With exception to “The Train Shop” in Santa Clara (if you can get past the lousy customer service) the aforementioned stores aren’t really worth the trip. Chan’s Trains, Franciscan Hobbies, D & J Hobbies, San Antonio Hobbies, and All Aboard Junction, which were all sources for G-scale trains in the past, have all gone out of business.

We are staying in San Jose so Santa Clara is right there…may have to check The Train Shop out…it’s too bad the others are not in business anymore. Life seems to be going the way of online shopping. I still like walking in and seeing things up close and personal. The only close thing to home for me is Hans in Tehachapi. And he’s 2-3 hours away.

Richard

I live in the bay area. Was just at The Train Shop in Santa Clara a week or 2 ago, looking for some G scale stuff. They have a very small inventory of locomotives and cars (I’d say about 10 locomotives and maybe 20 cars), some LGB stuff (track, etc.) and very very little else.

In particular I was looking for some Ozark details and they don’t carry any of that kind of thing.

They specialize in HO and are fantastic for that. Personally, their customer service has never bugged me. Maybe I’m weird (it has been noted before!).

I had more luck at Just Trains in Concord, though their inventory is pretty thin. At least they carry more variety. Quite a drive from San Jose.

Good luck!

Jim Rowson said:

Personally, their customer service has never bugged me. Maybe I’m weird (it has been noted before!).

What has been noted before, that you’re weird or that their customer service is bad? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I recently read about ‘The Train Shop’s’ customer service on Yelp and was surprised that they received low marks for customer relations. Haven’t been in there since the late 90’s, when I bought quite a bit of LGB stuff. But you’re right, Jim, HO (and N) seem to really dominate the model railroad hobby in general and that’s what the train stores who are still around support and cater to.