Large Scale Central

One off Spokane Portland & Seattle caboose paint job

I haven’t seen this before. Can any of the old SP&S hands shed some light on this? Usually, they are red with white lettering.

http://www.pnrarchive.org/Lists/Dan%20Perkins%20Slide%20Collection/DispForm.aspx?ID=41&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pnrarchive.org%2FLists%2FDan%20Perkins%20Slide%20Collection%2FAllItems.aspx&ContentTypeId=0x010067A48BF805CAEF40882CC4146C8B1410&RootFolder=%2FLists%2FDan%20Perkins%20Slide%20Collection

I want to say that SP &S also painted a Alco or two that same scheme. I think it was right before the BN merger?

The broadband scheme was in use from the mid 50s to the merger in 1970. As you can see from this photo of a typical broadband loco, the caboose has different colors, and a different scheme.

I’d love to see a photo of a loco painted in that scheme. That would be so cool. I’ve got a GPS 38 waiting for the paint shop… Hmmmmm.

I wasn’t talking about the scheme, but rather the colors. Same paint scheme, but with the blueish white colors, and the yellowish letters. I don’t remember where or when I saw a picture of that, but I think the location was Wishram. Not that, that really matters.

Are you a member of the SP&S Facebook page?

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/1425317_10204297023125243_303885649350979650_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=92cfbc698fad6545e31a7335494afca5&oe=59FF22EA

I remember that failed bluebell scheme. They ruined only one RS 3, didn’t they?

I didn’t know about the Facebook page. I’ll look into it. Thanks.

It says your a member… I tagged you in a photo too.

Since SP&S was jointly owned by the GN, I wonder if the shops had some “spare” big sky blue laying around and that’s why the caboose and locomotive ended up how they did.

You see that as blue? Amazing.

I see it as green and gold.

Craig Townsend said:

That didn’t work.

Steve Featherkile said:

Craig Townsend said:

That didn’t work.

No “You” broke it and I fixed it for you

Edited because you should have played the English horn!

That blue RS3 was the broadband scheme in blue and white, very different from the green and gold caboose.

Steve Featherkile said:

You see that as blue? Amazing.

I see it as green and gold.

Yep looks blue to me. Both the locomotive and caboose. Its hard to tell the exact color but it looks blue to me. It seems that the photographer is in the shadow.

Good stuff !

" Rooster " said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Craig Townsend said:

That didn’t work.

No “You” broke it and I fixed it for you

Edited because you should have played the English horn!

Thanks, Rooster. I must stipulate, Craig broke it. The English Horn is not a horn!

Powder Blue and Dover White but what is the car it’s hooked up too is the question?

Its hooked to a caboose. But behind the 2 is some kind of gondola hickey with either a cover (like a coil cover) or side boards.

Edit: if you look to the left, you can see the same thing. Its a gondola with side extensions., The one on the left has a beige tarp over the top. Now the question is what were they used for? Woodchips?

The cars in the background of the locomotive picture are indeed woodchip cars. I can’t tell from the picture what kind of woodchip car, but that style is pretty common here in the PNW. Think a 60’ gon with tall sides. One end hinges on the top to create an unloading door.

I think Steve will agree with me that both locomotives are blur and white. But he wants to know what color the caboose is?

I played with the cabooser pic and my guess is it’s a Green and Cream, but reflecting a bright blue sky. One window confirms this. Add to that the film aged and yellowed before it was scanned.

I adjusted color levels to see which accepted slight variations vs those that didn’t.

John

PS; The face of the cupola is darker and a different shade than the side …