Large Scale Central

Estate Sale Anniversary loco find

I thought I’d give you guys a shot at this before posting it elsewhere. I got a tip about an estate sale with some ‘Backman’ trains, so I went along. Several Big Hauler sets which didn’t interest me, but also this “North Star Express” set:

I had not seen one before, and I got very interested when I saw it was the “Anniversary” 4-6-0 loco.

Metal valve gear, brass handrails, brass air piping etc. The coaches have brass end railings too. It would make a super xmas train, or could be repainted to sensible colors.

It comes with the track - a big oval with 20 straights (10’ long each side, which is generous.) The controller is there, and some xmas poles with xmas crossbuck signs (“merry christmas”, etc.) I’m sure something is missing - e.g. I can’t find the wire to connect the track clip to the controller. But the box even had a 9V battery for the sound in the tender. The coaches aren’t the latest trucks with wipers (there’s a battery box for a 9V for the lights,) but I have some that cost $15 that could be swapped.

It is new and has never been used - the estate sale lady took it out of the box so it isn’t even dusty. From googling around, these sets were produced for Costco (and maybe Sam’s Club) more than 10 years ago, and retailed for about $150. Apparently these are the only sets that ever got an ‘annie’ loco.

As an Anniversary loco will cost around $200 I couldn’t resist, and I’m happy to sell it for $145, complete, plus shipping. (I have a couple of big boxes that will take it in bubble-wrap - if you want the polystyrene box that’s another whole ball game!)

There were also a couple of the neat Aristo Sierra coaches, with the brass cast end rails, etc. Dusty as if they sat on a shelf, and maybe used once or twice. I had to grease the backs of the wheels as the wipers were so old before they would roll.

That’s an 8-wheel caboose (not sure why it’s on the xmas passenger run,) I would repaint it and use it separately.

I cleaned them up and replaced a missing stovepipe chimney. They go quite nicely, so I’ll include the pair for another $50. That’s $195 for the lot plus shipping, (and $30 for 2 pairs of trucks with wipers if you want them.)

Boy, that’s tempting. But my mom would evict me if I did.

Someone asked me if it worked, which seemed a fair question. So I got it out and fixed the missing wire from the clip to the transformer, loaded the 9V battery.

Yes, it works. Here’s a very short clip. (The sound works but is distorted due to the age of the battery!)

I did find a few other missing bits - like the clip for the battery box on the tender. The smokebox plate was gone, and the whistle on the steam dome. So I raided my ten-wheeler parts box and found the relevant bits, which you can see on the engine in this post’s photo.

OK. It’s going elsewhere for $150 for the lot.