Forums Modeling O / On30
  • Topic: The "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Part #2

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 18, 2017 7:46 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      Meanwhile down in Haiti the other side of the world HK Porter's offspring are hard at work getting in the sugar cane harvest.This is my other On30 mini layout Petit Neg la" (Haitian Kreyol for The Little Guy).



      I frequently have this little mini operational as I work on the Kentucky/Tennessee stick hauler.

      Doc Tom

    • August 18, 2017 8:10 PM EDT
      • Missouri, It's like Floodsburg, man
         
      • Posts
        2,624
      • Thanks
        280
      • Thanked
        302

      Overgrown ballast looks good.

    • August 19, 2017 8:45 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      Forrest Scott Wood said:

      Overgrown ballast looks good.

      Thanks Scott. Every square inch of this mini layout is heavily scenic-ed to give an overall jungle look.

      Tom

       

       

    • August 19, 2017 9:21 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      Winter in the South can see some fairly warm days.And when you are working on the rail road you can even sweat.



      Especially so when there is a log train bearing down on your activities.





      Thanks for looking. Doc Tom



       

    • August 20, 2017 4:25 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      After some good discussion with fellow logger Mr Bill Nelson,here in Clarksville, and several good folks online I am learning just what size of logs a narrow gauge RR could haul in 1910. It appears on Eastern Lines up to 6-8 feet in diameter. So I cut up some 3 foot diameter specimens that Bill provided and they load nicely on the little narrow 30" gauge logging car.





      The little Porter was even able to pull the load and get it in to the Log Dump area before nightfall.



      I am learning a lot about the hardiness of early logging RR equipment and can't wait to cut and load a 6 foot diameter log.

      Doc Tom

    • August 22, 2017 7:44 AM EDT
      • Easton , Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        4,396
      • Thanks
        1,610
      • Thanked
        505

      ____________________________________

       My u-tube  My Vimeo

      The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

    • August 22, 2017 2:07 PM EDT
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        10,769
      • Thanks
        511
      • Thanked
        791

      Yea, what Animal said..................

      ____________________________________

      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

    • August 22, 2017 8:03 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      Thank you animal and a friend. Dr. Tom

    • September 4, 2017 4:52 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      There has been more work done on the mini railroad. The Bluffs on the Riverside of the model have been completed with bushes and vines. I will plant more bushes on the Woods side of the layout over the next several days and began to apply ground-up leaves and forest floor litter.

       

       




      Thank you for looking. All comments and critiques welcome. Dr. Tom

    • September 5, 2017 11:20 AM EDT
      • Easton , Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        4,396
      • Thanks
        1,610
      • Thanked
        505

      Tom

      Awesome looking ..are you going to add stumps ??

      ____________________________________

       My u-tube  My Vimeo

      The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

    • September 5, 2017 6:02 PM EDT
      • Not one of the WannaBe's,
         
      • Posts
        5,605
      • Thanks
        1,080
      • Thanked
        550

      Looking good Doc. I am a bit skeptical on the pile of logs in the stream, wouldn't they tend to create extra labor settling into the stream bed ?

       Even with that said this is still a great picture of the past.  

    • September 5, 2017 8:43 PM EDT
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        4,924
      • Thanks
        1,278
      • Thanked
        993

      Just slice a couple three logs length-wise on a skew to look like half sunken logs for the water babies ...and / or ... have a crude barge to tote 'em. A crane or 4 man windlass to haul 'em aboard up a 2 board V chute.

       

      Other wise keep having fun, looks fine.

      John

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • September 5, 2017 9:16 PM EDT
      • west of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        160
      • Thanks
        105
      • Thanked
        18

      Hey, Tom    I had to go back to July again and re-read this thread from the beginning. What a mess!  I mean that in a very good way.  Those logging railroads had hazardous wood debris and all sorts of other junk and grime all over the place, as does yours......very realistic.  Last summer we went to the Cass Scenic Railroad in Cass, WV, the original home of the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company.  What a fantastic trip.  On the grounds is a WVP&P museum which displays hundreds of pictures throughout their operation.  And dang!  Some of those pics look like scenes taken from your RR.  Great job.  Thanks for posting.  Mark    

    • September 10, 2017 8:23 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      Sean McGillicuddy said:

      Tom

      Awesome looking ..are you going to add stumps ??

      Thanks Sean. Stumps were one of the first scenic elements put in place.

      They are getting hard to find with all the other layers of scenery going in.......much like a real forest.

       

      Tom

    • September 10, 2017 8:25 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      David Marconi, FOGCH said:

      Looking good Doc. I am a bit skeptical on the pile of logs in the stream, wouldn't they tend to create extra labor settling into the stream bed ?

       Even with that said this is still a great picture of the past.  

      Thanks Dave. The Red River could certainly use some water to float those logs to the mill. Hopefully this is coming in the next several months. Tom

    • September 10, 2017 8:27 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      John Caughey said:

      Just slice a couple three logs length-wise on a skew to look like half sunken logs for the water babies ...and / or ... have a crude barge to tote 'em. A crane or 4 man windlass to haul 'em aboard up a 2 board V chute.

       

      Other wise keep having fun, looks fine.

      John

      Thanks John. I was wondering what type of flotilla could be in place to help move the logs down stream once the logs are in proper water. Some good ideas you have there.

       

      Doc Tom

    • September 10, 2017 8:30 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      Mark Betlem said:

      Hey, Tom    I had to go back to July again and re-read this thread from the beginning. What a mess!  I mean that in a very good way.  Those logging railroads had hazardous wood debris and all sorts of other junk and grime all over the place, as does yours......very realistic.  Last summer we went to the Cass Scenic Railroad in Cass, WV, the original home of the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company.  What a fantastic trip.  On the grounds is a WVP&P museum which displays hundreds of pictures throughout their operation.  And dang!  Some of those pics look like scenes taken from your RR.  Great job.  Thanks for posting.  Mark    

      Thanks Mark. Cass WV is an incredible place and I too love all the old time photos. I am trying to replicate the mess that was logging in 1910.

       

      Doc Tom

    • September 10, 2017 9:39 AM EDT
      • west of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        160
      • Thanks
        105
      • Thanked
        18

      Well, Tom,  You're doing a great job.......creating an OSHA nightmare.

    • September 10, 2017 3:35 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        10,892
      • Thanks
        110
      • Thanked
        822

      Tom, I am going to need you to come over and help me when I get to the finer details of my HO module.

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • September 10, 2017 5:34 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,527
      • Thanks
        31
      • Thanked
        110

      Mark Betlem said:

      Well, Tom,  You're doing a great job.......creating an OSHA nightmare.

      Thanks, I feel  I would trip and fall just about everywhere on this layout!!  Dr Tom

Forums Modeling O / On30

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google