Large Scale Central

Photobucket

Well I must have upset the photobucket gods. I was informed by E-mail that I was using too much “3rd” party sharing photos. So now I will either find a new place to store photos or something. I will have to redo my whole build log on my Passenger coach or just have Bob or someone delete the whole thing. This is frustrating. It probably has effected all of my previous build logs too. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Me too.PB wants $400-$500 per year. Doc Tom

What is the point if you cant share the photos? I missed someting.

$400-$500 a year! I hope Flickr doesn’t start that crap,

Yep, Photobucket is signing their own death warrant.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

Nobody is going to pay $400 to host photos when there are dozens of free/cheap photo hosting sites.

Bob McCown said:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

Nobody is going to pay $400 to host photos when there are dozens of free/cheap photo hosting sites.

You could get your own domain hosted for less!

Bob McCown said:

Yea. I have seen companies I worked for do things just as stupid, and then wonder why their business has dropped off.

What sucks is the tons of forums out there that have “build logs” or documentation using PB.

I know all my build logs are soon to become pictureless as I have been using PB since like 2004.

I’m not going to reload those pictures elsewhere either and try to match up/repost what has already been posted using PB.

There is a possibility that it may change so I would suggest leaving the build logs you have Travis and not deleting them.

$399 isnt “we need to monetize what we’re doing here” money, its “up yours, pay us” money.

Hehe…pretty much but trying to be optimistic

There’s so many “free” alternatives on the web today, once they run for a while, you find the business model won’t support their operation.

I started long ago with a hosting company that stores everything… my friends kept telling me about free this and free that.

One by one they have changed, gone away, or cost 10x what they used to.

It’s simple: a good idea takes off, and is funded to be non-profitable for X years, then the investors start wanting money back, rates go up. Then to make matters worse, other people get the same idea, and become competition, and the original guy loses advertisers, or get’s less traffic, bottom line, not as profitable.

You don’t get something for nothing, at least long term.

Greg

Bob McCown said:

$399 isnt “we need to monetize what we’re doing here” money, its “up yours, pay us” money.

Yup.

GOOD BYE PHOTOBUCKET!!!

Overnight PhotoBucket had become ransomware. The Good Ole Boys on the Kentucky Tooth Pick Line decided it was time for some country justice.

So its good riddance to the bucket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A big ole welcome to IMGUR which so far is still as free as a running stream and right easier to use too.

Doc Tom

Well I know a site that gives quit a bit of picture storing space for only $25 a year… along with some other features.

Here is a link: http://www.largescalecentral.com/members/home

Like Greg said, nothing is free forever and the above mentioned site does support the hobby. IMHO

the “free lunch” story again?

most of us spend hundreds or even thousands per year for cars and locos.

hundreds for modeling materials, hundreds of hours to build our layouts.

most of the layouts i see in the forums are worth far more than ten thousand.

but somewhere we wanna start saving some cents.

so our pics are hosted on advertizement funded space. (and then we use ad-blockers…)

now, that there is a hole in the bucket we’ll all flicker on to the next deception.

all? no, the sly ones use free space provided by forums…

… and when one of these goes belly up, or gets sold, for months they write about how “my large space” got wiped out.

i participated in this frustrating game twice, before i woke up.

out there are enough reliable and professional hosters, where we for ten to twenty bucks a month can rent a domain name and more space, than we can fill with pics.

and for those like me, who like to wear belt AND braces, there are cheap enough additional hard disks for the own computer to make a “mirror” storage of the hosted content on the own computer. (so that one can change the provider by just transferring the domain to a new space anywhere else and upload the pics for continuity of the own publications.

btw, because so many pics of others get lost over time, i started years ago to download the most interesting pics i see, to be able to look things up, when i need them.

good luck, boys, with your next “free lunch” storage!

Korm Kormsen said:

so our pics are hosted on advertizement funded space. (and then we use ad-blockers…)

now, that there is a hole in the bucket we’ll all flicker on to the next deception.

… and when one of these goes belly up, or gets sold, for months they write about how “my large space” got wiped out.

out there are enough reliable and professional hosters, where we for ten to twenty bucks a month can rent a domain name and more space, than we can fill with pics.

and for those like me, who like to wear belt AND braces, there are cheap enough additional hard disks for the own computer to make a “mirror” storage of the hosted content on the own computer. (so that one can change the provider by just transferring the domain to a new space anywhere else and upload the pics for continuity of the own publications.

btw, because so many pics of others get lost over time, i started years ago to download the most interesting pics i see, to be able to look things up, when i need them.

Korm. I’m game. Who do you use with the reasonable fees? I think you have the right idea. Doc Tom

Tom Grabenstein said:

Korm Kormsen said:

Korm. I’m game. Who do you use with the reasonable fees? I think you have the right idea. Doc Tom

Note

It’s not only those folk that had the free lunch but also the folks that paid for the lunch that are getting the 3rd party shaft unless you want to pay the biggest rate

I just came from another forum that I frequent, RCCrawler, and the photobucket users over there are up in arms as well

Well I refuse to pay to be able to share photos. that is all I do with it. I only share them to here from photo bucket. I have copies of everything I ever downloaded to PB. I think I am gonna go into acct. and start to delete them until they are all gone and then close the acct. See how they like that. I have recommended that site to many people and some have used their services too.

Tom,

as i’m german, i got me a hoster from over there. https://www.domaindiscount24.com/en?page=main

but i think, there are enough others here, who got stable providers from the US or Canada.

ask Greg, for instance.