Large Scale Central

New Face Lift On Old Structures

I built a steel fill in building years ago, I just painted it and placed a sign on it. The paint has faded and peeled off. So I wanted to give it new life, as many knows here I like working with magic sculpt.
I ordered, to try a new color, I had always used white and always painted dark for the first color.. So I ordered brown from amazon, It works great. I have always wanted to try to hand paint signs on the magic sculpt, so I tried that with very satisfying results. After getting the magic sculpt done, the front windows looked bad so I replaced them. The back, I tried the stucco/adobe style with very happy results.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
  Report this image

Report this image

Report this image
denray is online now Report Post   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 03:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Report this image

The base to the sign for the front

Report this image
denray is online now Report Post   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 03:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Report this image

New windows and front door
Old 06-23-2016, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Another Structure
I had another structure I built originally at the same time as the above one. I have been toying around with a method to paint a steel structure, would work on plastic or acrylic also. I wanted to paint a structure to represent wood type siding, steel structures are easy for me to build since I own a steel fabricating shop. Steel structures are long lasting if you can get it to look good. Just a one color of paint or powder coating does not work for me. As seen above I have done and perfected the Magic sculpt in several different types. I have used redwood siding added to a structure, and it works and looks very well. The methods I have used requires alot of time, and looks great, but I want to get maybe not great results but just good results, taking less time. 
I now want to kick my butt for not taking pictures of this structure before I started, just imagine this has been sitting outside and looked pretty bad, peeling paint, lots of rust, So I cleaned it up and primed it, Then I painted it with a brown, then a kakie color, a lite tan, I did different wire brush methods to create brushing off the top color to expose the bottom color. Then taking a fine point sharpie, and a good variety of straight edges, I drew in the lines for the boards, nail holes too. 
I added acrylic shingles representing the shake shingle, and the signs
.[IMG]
  Report this image
IMG_0410[1] by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
  Report this image
IMG_0434[1] by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr[/IMG]

Closer up view

[IMG]
  Report this image
IMG_0436[1] by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
  Report this image
IMG_0433[1] by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]

Amazing work! Very, very nice!

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

That is on my to-do list for this winter, giving a bunch of buildings a face lift.

Dennis,

This would have been a good post if LSC wasn’t second fiddle. A person can’t read the copy and pasted text and there is no bar to click on for the “full size” image. Also, you could have removed your First class member badge from the “other” forum before pasting here. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Other than that, nice work. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

A full view of Dennis’ beautiful work is in Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56388842@N06/with/34816026456/

Joe Zullo said:

Dennis,

This would have been a good post if LSC wasn’t second fiddle. A person can’t read the copy and pasted text and there is no bar to click on for the “full size” image. Also, you could have removed your First class member badge from the “other” forum before pasting here. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Other than that, nice work. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I am sorry to be playing second fiddle, Never my intentions, Both of the Large scale sites are very user unfriendly as posting pictures.

I can post in MLS and copy to here, but not from here to there. I can not post from Fliker to here either. You are the first to ever mention not being able to see the post in full size. Since I have posted all of my postings in the past two yrs the very way I did this one , I apologize for not being able to perform to the expected standards of this large scale site.

Great work as usual Dennis. Looks like I need to send you a couple of items for the roof tops.

Chris

Dennis,

I don’t see what the problem is with posting pictures here at all. Once you capture the location of the photo you paste it in the Insert Image window as the source and it’s there.

Dennis, you are not the only individual that finds posting images on this site problematic. Despite Joe’s adamant claim that posting images are easy here, I and others beg to differ. I have chosen to post from Tiny Pics as the transfer to this site is seamless from that source. As I do not store my images on a web site other than those I choose to post here through Tiny Pics, a simple cut and paste procedure from ones computer does not appear possible. Simply the way the wheel turns. I love your restoration work. You are a master. Keep posting as you are able. Your technique are lessons in themselves. Thanks!

All pictures Must live on the Internet. Bob gave you a Freight Shed for your pics when you joined. I’ve uploaded 8 at a time there and then it is EAZY to transfer them over to various threads. If Freight Sheds befuddle, albums is another place to host them.

I’ve got Chemo-brain and I can do it and if Joe can, then All y’all should oughter be able too! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

John

Dennis, i like these renovated buildings (here as much as there)

well done.

and about posting pics…

you will get enough advice, without me chiming in.

Joe Zullo said:

Dennis,

I don’t see what the problem is with posting pictures here at all. Once you capture the location of the photo you paste it in the Insert Image window as the source and it’s there.

It’s hard to be perfect

Edited to correct the spelling of : perfect

Helping is one thing. Harping on people will only prevent them from sharing the next time. Remember that.

Sorry for trying to help. Rich brought up uploading from the hard drive and one can’t do that easily. Some guys say they can. but I don’t know it.

Benevolent Bob gives us free Freight sheds for pics so that must be the stumbling block…

To find your FS (freight shed a railroady term) Click on Freight Sheds in the Black header bar at the top of every page. Then ‘Manage my folders’ leads to where you can open and name folders for your pics.

We like them sized down to 800 pixels wide, helps remote folks with slower speeds. I use a free image viewer for cropping and sizing.

If somebody wants further details I will provide, it bothers me to see complaints

If youse guys are using macs and or phones, I’ll bow out.

I thank You Guys for the Compliments on my work, and not how I post it. I do enjoy sharing to others, things that they may have an interest in learning. I am always trying new things, or at least new to me, and I enjoy sharing them.

My next thing to try will be using a salt technique in creating peeling paint.

So lets enjoy the hobby and hobby related information, because Chris in his mention a couple postings above, is people will not post beneficial postings if people are critical. A very important person once said, if you can’t say something nice or kind, keep quiet.

Thanks

Dennis

pleeeeeeeease share your salty results.

i tried to get cracked color with a product named “craquelex color” (brazilian made). that did work too good. the cracks were in 1:1 scale.

Really beautiful work Dennis! I love the window engraving, great idea. And I look forward to catching up on your sculpy adventures, wow, amazing results.

The salt method is highly used in the scale modeling world. While I have not yet tried it myself, I want to on some metal parts in the future.

Here is a good video on how to do it, which also shows the sponge technique too: Salt Technique Video

There is also another popular method using hairspray: Hairspray Technique Video

Chris

Decades ago I used rubber cement blobs to remove the top coat like peeling paint. Only problem I found was when I applied it too thin to see under the paint. Today’s digital cameras can document where we put it now…

I’ll be curious to see the results. I get double motivation from your work; try new methods, but more important; do something!

Always inspiring.

John