Large Scale Central

3d printed Telescoping gantry crane

Designed on sketchup

Started printing the sections today, should have it done by Tuesday

Uprights

1 side of track support on

I’m going to add 1 more I beam section to make it wider then I drew up

Pieces for the top carriage

Mark, are you designing this for a container crane??

This one i was thinking for coil car covers and coke containers, wouldn’t be that hard to modify this one into a 4 tower container jack though, give me a few seconds and I can rough it into 3d drawing

This would be better suited for trailers/shipping containers, uses the basic same parts

Tower 1 base almost done, the triangle sections take 6 hours on the printer, ran the second one overnight

Frigging Cool!

i beam is finished

started the carriage

and the hook

started to get some paint on the tracks, the last track is on the printer for overnight tonight

testing decal options

Looks like I’ll finish this up tomorrow

I’m having a genuine Pavlovian response Mark. (Drooling). Are you going to motorize them?

E.g., using perhaps linear servo actuators, with internal cables / sheaves?

Mark Dashnaw said:

This one i was thinking for coil car covers and coke containers, wouldn’t be that hard to modify this one into a 4 tower container jack though, give me a few seconds and I can rough it into 3d drawing

This would be better suited for trailers/shipping containers, uses the basic same parts

Yeah, that does look cool… Basically, what I had in mind when I asked the question… Thanks…

Printed up some hooks

testing some different loads

Now time to build the module

(https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/30/b2/95/30b295e904671cc98a3766f076bc4267.jpg)

and it’s out on the layout

Nice, Mark… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

So what’s the weight? Will it stay in place? Very impressive!

impressive!

did you mention what printer you use? it must be a good one to get all these pieces to fit so nicely.

The triangle base pieces have an access hole on the bottom so weight can be added easily to this, although I don’t plan to leave it outside as the trees in my yard love to attack buildings. Yes I said the TREES, damn willows

Korm, Makerbot x2

Are the triangle base pieces hollow?? Am curious as to whether one could add some R/C aircraft tires in them and make the whole thing rollable… Of course, it would require 2 sets on these units, making a 4 contact base, to straddle deepwells, and truck trailers…

What if you used some screen door rollers

Then you could have them on track…

Another useful idea, Sean… They were made both ways…

Looking great Mark!

Neat idea Sean

Now building the other crane, also changing the base for the first one for production models

old vs new base

with 2 new bases

this new base will also give more clearance between the tracks