Large Scale Central

Building a bridge questions

I’m thinking of building/welding a bridge for my layout. My question is where /what is a good source for scale size metal suppliers?

Home Depot and Menards usually has reasonably priced cold rolled steel in their hardware aisles. Are you specifically looking for scale I-beams?

Thanks for reply. I’m not looking for scale per say. But small sized steel stock.

Look at Carr-McMaster for sheet and bars, angles and rods. Various metals are offered.

John

Most hardware stores/Home centers have a decent selection, if not a Hobby store MIGHT have some. Next stop would be a steel and iron center, they will have almost anything, steel , brass, and aluminum, or can order it, One I know about where I am has both new and used and if so desired for a fee they will break it down to manageable pieces. Mid City Steel and Central Steel come up for your area on a quick search.

Todd - I have had good luck with these folks when getting aluminum - they also carry other metals

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/bostonnorth/

dave

Todd

What design of a bridge are you planning?

What is going to be your form of fasteng parts together going to be?

weld, screws, rivets,?

What tools do you have to work with?

Dennis

Todd,

As stated the big box stores carry steel stock. Our local Lowes carries in 3’ and 4’ lengths. Our local Home Depot carries 6’ lengths.

I prefer using the 1/2" box steel. It’s about right for main beam size and isn’t tedious to weld (assuming you are building a truss style bridge).

Todd- a few years ago, I built a bridge using aluminum screen frame material from Home Depot. It was pretty inexpensive (I’m cheap) and easy to assemble.

Here is a thread about it-

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/16855/pratt-truss-bridge-for-iron-island-rr

Hope this helps.

-Kevin.

dieseldude . said:
Todd- a few years ago, I built a bridge using aluminum screen frame material from Home Depot. It was pretty inexpensive (I’m cheap) and easy to assemble. Here is a thread about it- http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/16855/pratt-truss-bridge-for-iron-island-rr Hope this helps. -Kevin.

Kevin, that is a beautiful, beautiful bridge and highly resourceful use of cheap readily-available materials. Really good.

Todd W.: I had a fellow in the south somewhere build me a bridge out of exactly that same screen door material. Here’s a video, and you can look on his youtube account at other examples I believe. I think he’s a member here on LSC and has posted a couple of times at least.

Anyway boys and girls, for what it’s worth:

Keep us posted on what you come up with if you will.

NO PROPER BRIDGE TIES or GUARDRAILS is enough to drive a man insane!

" Rooster " said:

NO PROPER BRIDGE TIES or GUARDRAILS is enough to drive a man insane!

Don’t jump, Padre, don’t jump.

Todd - all of the above suggestions for sources of material are good (McMaster-Carr Supply). A couple to add are O’Neal Steel, and Ryerson Supply. Both have catalogs available for the asking and lengths are usually 20 foot, but they will cut them down for you if necessary. My only objection to McMaster-Carr for this type of work is they are expensive in the long run. Also look up ‘Steel Suppliers’ in your local phone book, you might be sruprised at what you can find.

www.bridgemangscale.com is a Japanese site…

If you use google to translate the site, the header is: (the link below will translate the page)

"Delivery of sexual part time job information such as Nihonbashi, Tobita, Umeda for women"

I suggest your friend use a different business name… :0

Greg

Thanks for feed back. Diesel dude nice job. Gives me some ideas.

todd whittier said:
Thanks for feed back. Diesel dude nice job. Gives me some ideas.

Thanks!

-Kevin.