Large Scale Central

Hello, new here

Hello

I’ve been lurking in the shadows of your forum for a couple months. Reading lot, checking out some pics and vids and getting the feel for the place. I thought maybe it’s time to join and say hello.

I’ve been looking for a hobby that could carry me through retirement. I enjoyed my HO train set as a kid and thought perhaps model railroads may be something I could get into again. Of course bigger toys now for a bigger boy so G-Scale has been what I’ve been looking at this time around.

I hadn’t seen a garden railroad up until about 20 years ago when I saw a couple displays at Art Knapp in Surrey BC (I was vacationing and am actually in southern Sask, Canada). I found it interesting, but unattainable at the time.

I do not have a huge space. Any project would not be an empire to be sure. I am not even 100% on the idea yet. I move around from 50-50 to 70-30 for depending on the day and what I may be researching at the time. This probably has to do with knowing how other hobbies haven’t lasted long so some reluctance to invest time and money in something new. It also appears I may be a lone wolf in my city which would be unfortunate as sharing of the hobby can only be done at a distance. This would make any g-scale hobby here more difficult to maintain (think of a gym buddy there to offer encouragement along the way and you’ll see my perspective on it).

I have been lucky to meet a couple guys who have answered some questions and in early June I’ll get the chance to see another railroad in person (but a 3 hour drive away) and spend half a day learning more.

What I have learned thus far is both good and bad. Bad in that there doesn’t seem to be the numbers in the hobby that there was even 10 years ago. I compared Garden Railroad magazine ads from 10 years ago vs. today and many vendors and manufactures just do not exist anymore. Good (or maybe bad) is that there still seems to be all sorts of technology still going strong and some incredible details being modelled. In some cases the choices are confusing to understand the differences.

So my plan, should I proceed, is to have a good plan in place that allows for many years of expansion and details without always going backwards and ripping out. I believe I could manage 150-200 feet of track that would also include an outdoor sheltered storage area to drive out trains and not haul them up from the basement every time I wanted to play. Stage one of the plan would be just a simple loop on the patio to run around while I plan stages 2 thru 10? 100?

Mentally I still have to overcome the idea of making some big changes to an already fairly planned out and landscaped yard and to ensure I am not going to tire of watching a couple/three trains run around the flowers or having to maintain the yard around tracks. There already seems to be shorter and shorter days of good weather and using them up in yard maintenance is becoming a “thing” I do not like. There is also a lot to learn about building some infrastructure to support the master plan to make it as interesting as possible. I also have not given a lot of thought to what may get modelled in terms of structures or if this would be just, literally, a garden train around the plants. I don’t fancy myself a model maker so that aspect may be sparse.

I have just finished a detailed map of the yard with existing, not moving, structures and trees and have to yet survey it enough to get an idea of what may need to happen with grades before planning something impossible.

While not doing that I have been trying to wrap my head around control systems, sound systems, track materials and making lists of questions to find answers for.

I’ve rambled on enough for now. Hopefully you guys will take it easy on me as I make these decisions going forward. I hope I have explained my thinking well enough that everyone understands it is a bit of a process for me and this is another step in the process.

Bart

Welcome to the forums, Bart. There’s lots of great information here. We’ve saved all the content back to 2002 (which was the first upgrade from a quick-and-dirty forum script I put together, to the first professional package). Plenty to look through if you are so inclined.

We have a very diverse bunch of modelers here, and most of them are glad to share their knowledge (sometimes, whether you want it or not!). So step over to the bar and order what you want, and dont mind the guys that get rowdy once in a while. We like them all.

Hello Bart.

Welcome to the club. I hope you decide to stay. LSC is a great place to share the hobby with others. It has helped me stay motivated and moving forward. I look forward to sharing your dream with you.

Devon

Welcome Aboard !

Stage one is a good plan. As funny as it sounds even a simple loop can bring plenty of enjoyment and also help with planning stages 2-100 !!

Welcome, Bart.

You will find everything here from simple setups to get you running, to “if I can’t buy it, I’ll make it.”

Bart Busse said:

Hello I’ve been lurking in the shadows of your forum for a couple months.

Hopefully you guys will take it easy on me as I make these decisions going forward. I hope I have explained my thinking well enough that everyone understands it is a bit of a process for me and this is another step in the process.

Bart

Welcome to the insanity!

Hopefully you guys will take it easy on me Hmmm …

Wow, Bart! Swift Current, Saskatchewan!

I looked Swift Current up…it looks to me like you are in heaven on earth! Tiny town out in the middle of nowhere except stretches of awesome beautiful landscape, TWO golf courses (Chinook and Elmwood) and you have a railroad running right through the middle of town, including a nice big yard. What could be better?

Can’t wait to see what you come up with in the way of your railroad. Keep us posted.

Welcome Aboard.

We all started somewhere, my first was a tri-oval, then added a couple of switches, then… As I learned; I grew and so did the railroad.

As Bob said; given a chance, we love to help.

John

Welcome!

HelloBart;

I’m a fellow Canadian; a bit to the East of you, in Ottawa…

We have been at the Large Scale stuff since 1982…it is fun…check out our web page at: www.ovgrs.org

I know a friend in Cold Lake, Alberta, who gets over near you once in a while. He’s a Heckocopter pilot with the forces…Grant Smith.

Fred Mills

Welcome aboard…

Lots of fun here! And you can often combine several hobbies with trains!

Welcome aboard, Bert… Have any questions… there is always some one around here to ans. them.

Welcome Bart. I’m newer myself to the forum and have learned lots all ready. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, how we all learn.

Bob McCown said: We have a very diverse bunch of modelers here,

Or, perhaps more accurately, a diverse cast of characters. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

(or is that a cast of diverse characters?)

(perverse characters?)

Hello, and welcome!

Hi Bart. Welcome to the nut house. As a newcomer, you have all the advantages. Back when I first started in this crazy hobby, I knew everything. Now, many years later, I am just starting to realize how much I don’t know at all. As others have said, you will find most folks around here are pretty friendly and willing to answer any questions you might have. And, if I have learned anything at all over the years, it is this: “Half of being smart is knowing what you’re dumb at.” If you think you might want to try something new, just mention it to the forum. Chances are someone has tried it before and can show you what works and what doesn’t. We have a lot of experts on just about every modeling topic you can imagine. I’m looking forward to seeing your first train up and running.

Here is an editorial I wrote a few years back called “A Common Sense Guide to Garden Railroading” that may be of use to you as a newcomer.

Beware The Cost of Cheap Prices. It’s good to be thrifty. It’s smart to shop around for competitive pricing. But — how can I say this tactfully when I know no other way than bluntly — don’t be stupid! Just because something is cheap does not mean you’ll save money. This is true with everything in life and is especially true when it comes to garden railroads. The words “price” and “cost” have two different meanings. The price is what you pay at the time you purchase an item. The cost is what you end up paying over the life of the product. Something that is low priced may end up costing you more after only a year or two.

Beware Discount Warehouses & Internet Auction Web Sites. Discount stores and on-line auction sites are not generally the way to go for initial purchases unless you are an expert on the item or you know the seller. Reputable retailers cannot lower their pricing on garden railroad equipment to match the discounters and E-bayers. There are three very good reasons for that. First of all, they typically have a fixed overhead cost associated with operating a business. Secondly, their time and expertise are generally included within their pricing structure. And finally, they will typically be there after the purchase if you have questions or problems.

You Get What You Pay For. One of the most aggravating things I find with companies that manufacture garden railroad equipment and supplies is that they will slap anything on a label or promise just about anything. There are a few individuals on some of the large scale forums that will actually stand up and challenge them. If you have reading the forums for long, you probably know who the people are who will attempt to keep the manufacturers honest.

Some manufacturers would have you believe that their newest, whiz-bang, super-detailed model is on the boat and will be in your hands shortly. A year from now, you may or may not actually see it. Another manufacturer may have you believe that their $19.95 item is suitable for all G scale layouts (whatever that may mean) and is engineered to last a lifetime. Wow! What a deal!

Not so fast. It’s not a deal at all. In fact, it should be illegal. Many novice garden railroaders throw money away like this on products that don’t work. In this case the money was simply wasted because, as one finds later, it doesn’t do the job, is not the right scale, or will need replacing within six months. Call it a $19.95 lesson on what not to buy.

Bottom line is you do “get what you pay for”. If the price is too good to be true — it is.

Do It Right the First Time. The best way to save money when building a garden railroad is to do it right the first time. It costs at least twice as much if you don’t do it right to begin with. Many layouts are abandoned simply because the “cheaper one” didn’t do the job. I’ve seen cases when a layout was totally reconstructed because it didn’t run correctly. It’s always more costly to rebuild than to build.

Research, research, research. Then ask the “experts” on any of the forums. They will be happy to correct you on everything you have learned. Just kidding, of course. There are some true experts on the forums with years of experience backing them up. There are a few others who may have some interesting, if unproven, ideas and concepts that you might consider. And of course any forum will have a few “naysayers” that will criticize everything you say or pick you apart for bad grammar. It will not take you too long to figure out who fits where. There’s a load of misinformation on the internet. Be careful. Use your common sense and if you don’t have any, borrow your neighbor’s.

Decide whether you are building for the present or the future. For example, if you are planning to sell your home within a year or two then you probably wouldn’t want to put in permanent concrete roadbed.

Set Realistic Goals. Don’t try to build the ultimate garden railroad on your first attempt. Build it in stages. Get each stage up and running before you move on to the next.

Know Your Limitations. Don’t try to do something you’re not good at. Find someone who is knowledgeable in that particular area, and then pick their brain. Like I said earlier, there are a lot of experts that will be happy to help you. Few of us are truly good at all aspects of garden railroading. But we have a lot of synergy. We continually learn from each other.

Decide how much your time is worth. If you love operating, but hate maintenance … then bite the bullet and opt for the low-maintenance system. You’ll fall in love with yourself later for being so good to you.

Don’t go with a system just because it is a name brand that you trust — and don’t always trust name brands. Labels will mislead you and just because a company spends a great amount of money on marketing does not mean it’s a good product. There are many out there that aren’t worth the paper the ads are printed on.

Above all – Just Have Fun. After all, that’s what this hobby is all about. If you want to pull your super-detailed drop bottom gons with Thomas the Tank Engine just to make the Grandkids happy … then do it. Always remember, the only one you have to please is yourself.

Welcome aboard,

Bob

I have a web site with about 750 pages on it, mostly trains.

I’d refer you to the “root” page for beginners, my FAQ page, which parallels a lot of what Bob has so eloquently spelled out above.

https://elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35&Itemid=65

Oh, and WELCOME!

Greg

Welcome Bart. You came to the right place for help and ideas. Starting out small is a good idea until you figure out what you want to do. I only have about 150ft and have no plans on expanding. I think 150ft is a good size for what I run and the time I have. You can do a lot with a garden layout from just watching your trains, to operations or get into live steam, something more hands on and allows you to interact with your train more. Whatever you choose, You will find it a great way to relax after work.

Bart Busse said:

…ensure I am not going to tire of watching a couple/three trains run around the flowers…

Bart

First of all, welcome aboard, Bart. You will find this a nice place to learn. Most of us are like family… well, except for that Rooster fella. He’s more like a red headed step child. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

To your point highlighted above, tiring of your product. If all you have are some concentric circles, this is a huge risk. A railroad is designed to go somewhere, and do something. At the very least, I’d advise adding some sidings for industries that need switching. Loads in, loads out. That keeps the interest up. Now that I’ve done that, I use my railroad much more often.

You can still have that loop, for those times when you want to sit trackside with an adult beverage.

Pull up a chair around the pot belly stove in the station and join the conversation. The 10:27 will be along shortly, if she ain’t late, again.

edit: Why not 70 X 50?

Welcome indeed. Nothing wrong with small at all. I have 160 feet of track but I can get a couple of hours of operation in very easily - heh, or maybe not so “easily” at all, but fun! Some folks will try to ensure that you enjoy railroading the way that they do, but just make sure that you enjoy it the way that YOU want to.