Large Scale Central

Converting a LGB Zillertallbahn 2071D DCC Ready.

A friend has a LGB Zillertallbahn 2071D (purchased in Germany approx 1991.) He is interested in making this loco DCC-Ready. I am not familiar with this loco. Is this something that can be fairly easily converted to DCC-Ready so it can be used with a decoder? Is there any motor isolation required? or anything that makes the job more challenging than normal?

I can’t find the manual, but it may be out there.

I’d guess it is a 3 wire block, which needs a wire soldered inside the motor block and a small insulator added.

Then you have 2 track pickups and 2 motor leads.

Can put almost any decoder in there, but it is NOT what you would call “DCC ready”.

Yea, “DCC ready” means that the locomotive was built so that a decoder can be plugged into a plug inside the locomotive. The plug will have a jumper board plugged into it, so the locomotive will run on DC. So, technically you want to make the locomotive DCC able, not really DCC ready.

Closest diagram/parts list is the 2070/2171 pdf. It is a 3 wire motor block and will need one motor lead isolated from the track.

Hopefully it is not the split case as the wheel brushes and springs will fly away when the wheels are removed to get at the access screws to split the block.