Large Scale Central

A simple 1:20.3 Battery Trailing Car

I have a track power layout, run using the 27 MHz Train Engineer system, but also have 2 battery trailing cars, primarily for visiting other layouts, originally made for Marty’s get together on Nebraska. Both trailing cars are stock cars. One is the Aristocraft stock car with built in 27 Mhz Train Engineer board. The other I made using a Heartland Locomotive Works stock car, very convenient as the roof snaps off. I used a G Scale Graphics Rail Boss board for that one, as it uses the same 2.4 GHz controller that my live steam RC locomotives use.

However both trailing cars are 1:29 or so, and I have a few 1:20.3 electric locomotives, such as the Bachman Forney and the 2-6-6-2 Mallet. Both come pre wired for battery power by just adding a plug to a terminal block going to a battery source. So I decided I needed a 1:20.3 trailing car so the locomotives and NG cars would look better when operated by battery. My recent visit to Ken’s op session was also a catalyst for making a NG battery car.

I had bought an Accucraft 1:20.3 gondola car a few years back at ECLSTS. Turned out that is was nicely weathered and had a load of lumber. The load was actually a Styrofoam block filling up most of the gondola, with a single layer of scale lumber on top. I decided that would make a good battery car for NG use.

Now what system to use? I was in the New Mexico town of Ruidoso 18 months ago, and found an actual model train shop there. And he had a bag of 3 Aristocraft 27MHz TE #5490 on board cards, which I bought. So I decided to try one of those in this application.

I simply carved out a hole big enough for a battery (14.8V 4400 MaH LI) and the 5490 board. Drilled a hole in the bottom of the gon for the wires for the power plug from the terminal block on the board, and it was ready to go. I cut a piece of thin plywood so cover the top and glued the scale lumber to it.

It worked just fine, so now I have a NG battery trailing car. However one item still to do, the receiver card is totally encapsulated and has no ventilation. Twenty minutes of running and the card was slightly warm to the touch. So I still have to drill some holes in the lumber load to permit some air movement.

Regards

Jerry

Nice !

Great job Jerry!

Jerry,

Nice job on the new trailing battery car. It will look good behind your Fn3 power. Let’s see now – that makes you three battery cars. Maybe, just maybe, we’re getting you weaned away from the singed-hair part of the hobby and over to the “dark side.”

Bob