Large Scale Central

Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Sound

Greetings, I am a newby on this site and forum. I have been ‘lurking’ and reading for some time. I am assisting a friend without internet with the setting up and running of his system.

The loco is a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Tank version DC track powered.

We have struck a problem with the installing of a MyLocoSound card. The sounds work with two problems.

!. The card is set to Euro sound and following the instructions to change it to Nth American sounds does not make any difference. The various in the default Euro sounds in that form work OK. Any suggestions on how to fix this most welcome.

1. With the sound card wired up to the adapter board G828X#PCB05 RevA the sounds work but the loco does not start when when power is applied to the track. My guess is that there may be a need for more connections to be made between some of the extra leads on the adapter board. Again, any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation of some assistance.

John Thomas

Since you are in Australia and Mylocosound is in Australia, why not contact them directly?

Do you have a link to the manual?

Greg

John,

Changing from European to US mode has only one immediate effect which is to change the button 3 function from the guard’s whistle to “All aboard”. It also has a secondary effect which is that North American sounds become the defaults in the event that you decide to reset your soundcard by holding down button 3.

There is an excellent video of the Baldwin 2-6-6-2 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lonmaxco77Q. The soundcard’s whistle number 8 (6 chime) sounds pretty close to me.

We don’t have that particular loco here and the wiring diagram I sent you

John,

Changing from European to US mode has only one immediate effect which is to change the button 3 function from the guard’s whistle to “All aboard”. It also has a secondary effect which is that North American sounds become the defaults in the event that you decide to reset your soundcard by holding down button 3.

There is an excellent video of the Baldwin 2-6-6-2 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lonmaxco77Q. The soundcard’s whistle number 8 (6 chime) sounds pretty close to me.

We don’t have that particular loco here and the wiring diagram I sent you (attached) is based on experience with other Bachmann locos. Perhaps another member can suggest why these connections, assuming they were done right, would stop the loco moving.

Regards

Peter Lucas

MyLocoSound

Peter, The bit that does not work on our unit is the change to the “All Aboard” It stays as the whistle sound.

Does anyone have a copy of the circuit diagram for the Loco board G282X#PCB04 RevB that might give a clue as to why the loco will not run.

Note that I have edited the PCB number to “04 Rev B” the original number shown was my mistake.

Regards,'John

John,

To change to US mode you use the TV remote control, press Mute, press the number 8 button until you hear two beeps, then press Mute again to restore sound. If that doesn’t do it, call me on 0414 232 060.

Regards

Peter

John Thomas said:

Greetings, I am a newby on this site and forum. I have been ‘lurking’ and reading for some time. I am assisting a friend without internet with the setting up and running of his system.

The loco is a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Tank version DC track powered.

1. With the sound card wired up to the adapter board G828X#PCB05 RevA the sounds work but the loco does not start when when power is applied to the track. My guess is that there may be a need for more connections to be made between some of the extra leads on the adapter board. Again, any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation of some assistance.

John Thomas

John

Let me try to help on the motor problem.

First the easy question. I assume the motor switch is set to on and the track battery switch is set to track. I ask because more then once I have looked for a problem only to find I had accidentally hit a switch.

With power on check the voltage between the L and R connections and then between the M+ and M- connections on the adapter board. The M+ and M- connection should have about 1.5 volts less.

If voltage between L and R but no voltage between M+ and M- then the problem is with the circuit on the adapter board.

The circuit is simple. The connections go for L (or R) to the outside of the large diodes on the board and then from the center two connections of the diodes to the M- (or M+) It is possible that the solder connection on the diodes somehow broke when you wired your sound card.

You might also try running the locomotive both forward and backwards to help determine which diode connection is not working.

Hope that helps

Stan

I installed my first, My Loco Sound for a 0-4-0 it works great, and has lots of selections in the sound

Dennis

This mystery was resolved today. The loco motor was not running because Bachmann’s instructions were apparently ambiguous and had caused the user to remove the analogue PCB.

The MyLocoSound soundcard was not doing all it should because they had purchased it from a retailer who must have had it on the shelf for a while. It was a version which was more than a year old and they were trying to use it with the current instructions which they had downloaded from the web site. I am resolving this by upgrading their soundcard to the current version.

Regards

Peter Lucas

MyLocoSound

Hello Peter,

Thanks very much for the direct help that you gave us in setting up the correct sound card.

We ran some running tests at the track site and all works very well.

We are now planning to set up the sound on another loco soon.

Regards,

John