Large Scale Central

Heavy Skeleton car

To go with my heavy disconnect, I will be building a short string of heavy skeletons. Here is the first build to use as a prototype.

Nice.

Wow that is heavy duty. I like how you roughed up the wood to make it look more real.

Are you planning on chopping down a giant redwood out there in Washington?

We still have a grove or two of giant cedars out here. Now protected, but not in the 19 teens and twenties :slight_smile:

Gee, it doesn’t look like there is much room for the trucks to swivel. It looks great.

Plenty of room. The wheels go right under the frame. The angle of the pic makes it look tight.

Very nice John. A few rarely considered prototypes sure do make a unique build. Thanks for the post (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

John, what plans did you use?. I built several from the garden railroad plans…

Travis Dague said:

John used PLANS???

The horror of the thought!

Me likes!! That looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Instead of using plans, just pick up one of B’mann’s log cars, and copy it…although, the B’mann car is good right out of the box…!!Body mounting Kadee couplers makes it even better !!

John…you did build a fine model…

Travis Dague said:

No plans for this one. I built some from the GR centerfolds as well, and just beefed up this one a little to match my heavy disconnect. Seattle Car and Foundry were famous for building custom logging cars for their customers, I looked at a few pics of theirs and adapted this skeleton.

This a model of a Seattle C&F dual purpose log car. Haul logs or mount a bernhardt loader. The rails allowed the loader to move back and forth on the car. I don’t have a Barnhardt, but might build one of these just for fun.

I would love to see that John

John Bouck said:

Plenty of room. The wheels go right under the frame. The angle of the pic makes it look tight.

Plus they are short wheelbase cars, so they do less swiveling.

John

" Rooster " said:

Travis Dague said:

John used PLANS???

The horror of the thought!

Not even a napkin!

Did you use Ozark Miniature link and pin details or are they from Wiseman?. Was wondering if the size is the same. Mine are from wiseman and look bigger than yours…

They are Wiseman couplers and journals. Ozark’s are half the size. I needed beefy couplers. That is an Ozark coupler housing around it, though.

The wiseman’s fit perfectly.