Large Scale Central

Spring time repairs on the SF&BHC R.R.

Every year we do our spring repairs, but this year it has been a very wet winter for us. Now that the weather is starting to get better, we are starting to pulling our building up for minor repairs. Two of them are kind of long and take two of us to set them up on saw horses. We started with Bowers Whrs at the set up area.

Whrs needs a new roof and over head crane is stuck.

And pulled up Wilsonville and set them up on saw horses. Easy to just unplug the sound and lighting to be able to move them. Wilsonville is the longest at almost 12 foot.

We see the Eng. house remote doors has a remote wire off the motors. Also some lights came loose from the over head wires out front.

Then after we get these ready to go back in, then start Maint.on the Swing bridge & Bakers Acres and do some ballast/track repairs.

Maybe in a month, have some trains running. LoL

P.s. Michael Kirrene

Here are the photo i was trying to show you in our chat.

I’m glad I’m not the only one…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

so you are paying the price for having a "jungle"garden and a railroad together…

Korm Kormsen said:

so you are paying the price for having a "jungle"garden and a railroad together…

Yup… Would think one would learn over the years… now over 80… lol

Been doing this since around 1998.

Now the winds came up and have to clean up the layout all over again …one of these days.

So much eraser in the Ho scale. Just turn off the building lights and shut the door.

Also, don’t have to contend in Ho building this either. Had a heck of a time getting this Red Tail Hawk to let go of my tel pole. LoL

Got most of the painting done except the trim.

But not sure what to do with the roofs area without doing a lot of work. Had felt roofing paper on before and over the years, just curled up and kept coming loose in the weather.

May just have to tack down asphalts singles strips.

Any other ideas for a fast repair?

Use roll roofing with self adhesive backing. I had a roll leftover from a new house roof two years ago (I paid for it, and the roofer was going to throw it out). It has worked well for my railroad roofs and quick and easy to install. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Noel, you can try EPDM rolled rubber roofing, and construction adhesive. You can buy this stuff by the foot for around $10/ft, standard width on the roll is 10 ft, looks like you’d only need a foot.

There is also a product called Liquid Roof, it’s an EPDM product, just paint it on, comes in quarts and gallons

Noel,

I have been having good luck with the spray on rubber coatings like “Flexi-Seal” for roof coatings and you can spray paint any color you want over the top of the black. I usually use a silver color to look like real roof coatings.

Rick

Thank guy for ideas. Talking to our oldies son, he has been doing some stuff in his hobby’s. He came up with an idea… due to we has some much tar like base on the roofs, was to heat it up and put strips of heavy duty Duck Tape on, then press roll it. It worked out great and we can’t get it back off with out reheating it. The Whrs. roof is just under 9 foot long so lot of roof had to be covered.

Well again thanks for suggestion, guys and we think it is down for good for a few more years. May take that building out and put something else in that area later on anyway.

Now just have to spray it dull silver. Then back to the trim painting and rewire up the marquee lights over the door.

After that, set it back in under the set up area roofing in the forground.

Outstanding solution, also, your buildings and RR really great!

Good one Noel. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Turned out well, good job!

Findley set the finished whrs. in, also plugged back in the lighting. Not to sure about the color of the Silver roof. Thinking, may have looked better black.

Thanks guys… Now will start on the 12 foot Town building.

Noel,

The roof looks just fine.

Noel, I copy the paint combinations on real buildings, because, if I were to paint my buildings the way I like them, they would tend to be all the same few paint combinations. So, even though you may like black on the roof better, I would leave it as is. It looks good, and it wont look like the same paint palette as the next yellow building in your town.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Oh, and shut up Rooster.

Well… looking at it again and the Cooling tower on roof, guess you guys are right. Reflecting more of the heat, that a cooling tower should be Silver to.

This is kind of a all around whrs.

First door on the whrs. is the cold storage area for Refers cars. “Oh. and cold storage area is also the air cond. for the offices… lol.”

Doors 2, 3 and 4 is for Box cars and Spot 5 is the loading/unloading platform for Flat cars and Gon’s.

Was a neat build and encouraged from Richard Smith builds in Oregon.