Large Scale Central

Heavy disconnects

Finished building up a heavy disconnect using plans I found in one of my books. I scaled it to 1:20.3 The prototype uses very heavy timbers and usually hauled only one or 2 logs. (Big logs.)

This is the first one in a string of several I will build. I wanted to make sure I liked it before I cut the wood for all the rest.

It has removable couplers so you can use knuckles if you wish to.

Journals and coupler pocket from Wiseman, other bits from Ozark’s and some brass strips, pins, etc.

I have several of the Bachmann Disconnects, and I think yours looks better. . Your example has that “well used” look. You have to have a pretty sturdy pair of bogies to haul a huge 20’ diameter Redwood log, so the units took a lot of abuse. Most of the Disconnects got pretty funky over time and were re-built by shops in the logging camps. Link and pin couplers were the choice most of the time because of the simplicity, and spare parts could be made up by the shops very quickly. Yours is obviously the “Cadillac” model with the optional Brakes.

Looking at the pics and the drawing again, I see I left the “spikes” off of the log bunk. I’ll add those. They were used to help hold the log in place. Sometimes they didn’t even use rooster poles on these heavies. They chained the log down tight and the log itself was the rooster. Fun stuff!

Nice build, pretty cool to haul the big logs on it.

Chris

That came out great and the details really make it.

Installed the spikes today.

A shot of the underneath showing the bracing and the heavy duty journals.

I have a brake beam and shoes, but little else. I don’t run my trains upside down. :slight_smile:

Nice . . . . . (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Looks like you have out done yourself. That is one fine job John.

John, that is sweet.

John

Can’t comment on the disconnects as I know nothing about them. I will say that spacing the bridge ties so standard track drops into the gaps is the way to go !

Always nice work from you.

Rooster thinks John is a detail freak!

Very nice John. Some day I might finish the skeleton cars I started years ago.

Jon,

I started to build a heavy skeleton car to go with these disconnects. It will have most of the same size beams and matching couplers.

Between these and the skeleton cars I don’t know which I like better John. Great builds both.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I’m adding a few more disconnects to the fleet.

The shop used spare archbar trucks instead of pedestal journals.

Something different.

Disconnects look great, John. Nicely detailed.

Disconnects look good John! I need to dig out my Hartford kits and finish building them. I eventually want more than the kits I have and I like the idea of making some a little different. Like some were bought and the others were shop built. Thanks for the idea and motivation!

Steve

I missed this before. Those are coming out great John.

Great disconnects!

And a nice catch Rooster, I agree, best way to lay track on a bridge or trestle, it let’s it expand and contract but holds it in place.

Those are great looking. I can’t decide whether I like the brown or grey better. Nice work.