Large Scale Central

Hamlet of Quarryville

I recently found an old photo of small train station and depot located in the Hamlet of Quarryville, a section of Wantage Twp., the same township I live in. (only a few miles away). I became interested in the photo because I never knew much about the history of this line other then it is an abandon railroad and a short section of it is now the Appalachian trail. I started explore parts of this line and trying to get as much information and pictures about this section of line, from Sussex to Unionville NY) I was only able to get a map and two photos of the Quarryville station. My goal is to re-creat this small hamlet on my layout.

Quarryville was a stop for the Midland Railroad and later taken over by the NY Susquehanna and Western Railroad. It had a station, dept and watertower. The main reasons for a stop in such a small Hamlet was a Bluestone Quarry called Flagstone hill located about a mile from the station. At the time it was the best Bluestone around, it also served the dairy industry, passenger service as well as the High Point Applejack Brandy. Most of the railbed etc are located on private property I believe. My goal is to try and get permission to explore this section of the railbed and try to get more photos of structures along the line. Here is an article about Quarryville and I also have two local histry books that had some info and pictures.

http://www.njherald.com/20170122/sussex-county-lost-jan-22-hamlet-of-quarryville

Image may contain: outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

Section along the Appalachain trial outside of Unionville NY but on the NJ side.

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

Any ideas what this is?

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Not sure what this depression was with the cement slabs

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: plant, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Maybe that item was a coal rake for tending a fire.

John

You said there was a dairy along the line, looks like a hook to pull dairy cases.

Judging by the length of the item, I would agree with John that it is something to do with the fire box. It it way too long for a dairy case hook. Not having a view of the far end of the item cripples anything but speculation. But that is my tuppence worth.

Shawn Viggiano said:

Any ideas what this is?

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

That is a Thingamajig, quite often confused with a doohickey.

Very cool RR History and some nice finds.

Chris

That appears to be a handle for turning the tree. Some trees really like to be turned occasionally! It gives them a better view.

Looks like an interesting spot in the woods!

Obviously, its a can opener key from Ray’s 4:1 scale layout. He must have eaten SPAM there at some point.

Be careful what you ask, Shawn! :wink:

Nice post, I am also fascinated by long-gone short lines. Please keep us updated on what you find with your research.

There were 2 railroads near me in Annapolis, as well as a mainline and a narrow gage short line near my VA cabin. I have poked around a little in VA but there is not much info available.

Thanks for posting

Jerry

Sure looks to me to be the same as the coal rake that we have on and use on 315. The rake was stored on the frame of the tender, just hung onto hooks. Could easily have fallen off along the way. The rake isn’t used every day and could very well have gone missing for days before noticed missing.

I had a feeling it was coal rake. I I have one from Ozark Minitures. It’s funny how the tree grew into the other end and acts like a flexible gate that you have to push. I got two more books one on the unionville and Middle section. I’m hoping it cover the section in NJ by me. Also another that has the stations along the entire route.

I have been making slow progress on the Quarryville area. Between other projects and watching the little one has limited my modeling time. The station is almost complete. Just needs a front door, roof and signs. I cant find the Wriggleys sign for the station.

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

The Depot was framed out and the decking started. Too bad I only have two photos to go by. Not sure what color the buildings were so I might do a weathered gray stain or white.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor

I had to dig down along the tracks for the depot to get the elevated look. For the station it was not possible since the ground was too flat there. The depot location the ground slopes some already.

No automatic alt text available.

Very nice Shawn.

Chris

Wasn’t Maywood Station on that route? If so I would go with that color scheme.

Maybe this one will work (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Rooster I believe it was. I guess cream color/off white?

Hollywood, I like that one. Might have to try and use that instead.

Cream and brown. Common colors for the era and especially freight depots. Sherwin Williams colors “Downing sand” and “Downing Earth” should fit the bill about correctly. However any of the colors in the Downing or Rookwood scheme for that matter. Sherwin Williams was around at that time and still produce the same colors. “Off White” was not a color of that era. Ecru would be more proper.

Build looks good!

" Rooster " said:

Cream and brown. Common colors for the era and especially freight depots. Sherwin Williams colors “Downing sand” and “Downing Earth” should fit the bill about correctly. However any of the colors in the Downing or Rookwood scheme for that matter. Sherwin Williams was around at that time and still produce the same colors. “Off White” was not a color of that era. Ecru would be more proper.

Build looks good!

Thanks. Im assuming the station and depot would both be the same color? What about roof material? Hard to tell on photo.

OOk I found a cleaner picture.

As for the roof …probably just asphalt (roll roofing)

As for the same color on both …hard to say but looking at the station on the left. I’m sure it had paint on it which stops just below the battens. The window sash appears to be a darker color than the siding but I don’t think the siding is “Cream” as it appears darker than that.

Here is an old postcard reference I found of Maywood.

Here is another postcard I found of Ogdensburg,NY

This is another piece of information I found. http://www.njherald.com/20170402/a-look-back-april-2-a-quiet-morning-at-ogdensburg-station#/

Read down about the station designs and especially about the “Billboards”

HOWEVER! You could try this e-mail and perhaps Wayne could tell you the exact colors?

Sussex County Historian Wayne T. McCabe may be contacted at [email protected].

Good luck(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Is it me, or are all the pics in the first post gone? The rest are there.

Not just you. Pics in first post are gone.