Large Scale Central

Did LGB discontinue their Mogul?

This should be an easy question: did LGB discontinue their Mogul? I have an older one, and it occurred to me to look into what the latest versions, etc., were and cost. I downloaded a 2016 LGB catalog and…no Mogul. Mine is their old model D2028 as I recall, so would be looking for that same configuration.

I don’t follow LGB much, so do not keep pace with their offerings or catalogs.

??

Denis

There are 2 Moguls shown on the LGB site, and both of them are footnoted with “Article not produced anymore”. I find it odd that the iconic LGB Mogul is out of production. Maybe they will come back in the future, or maybe LGB figured the market is saturated with them. I do not know.

Considering how saturated the used LS market is I’m not surprised its been embargoed. They’ll probably only produce that which they see a demand for in the market not being met either by the used market supply or another manufacturer like Piko’s 2-6-0.

What a shame. Still an iconic little locomotive. I have two and run them frequently. Always popular with visitors and they are highly dependable. Maybe that’s the problem, rarely a need to replace them. Maybe LGB will rethink that eventually.

I bought an LGB 2019S mogul new in the early 1990’s for I think around $700. A few years later, I bought a slightly used LGB 2028D mogul for $600. If you look around now, you can buy these moguls used in like-new condition for less than half that amount. Like Vic said, the market is saturated with them. My moguls still run as well as the first day I put them on the tracks, with no issues. I love 'em. I’m going back and forth in deciding about converting them to battery power.

I converted mine to battery. Well worth doing. I have to agree those moguls run great. Not as detailed like the Bachmann but they don’t break as easy.

Shawn, did you fit the battery in the tender or put it in a trailing car?

LGB had 2 different styles of moguls. wood models did not have much detail (stack was removable) and no rear light. Later, coal models added lots of pipes (Stack was molded to boiler front) and a rear light and I like the looks of these much better.

Michael Kirrene said:

Shawn, did you fit the battery in the tender or put it in a trailing car?

I put it in the tender. Lith ion.