Large Scale Central

Running at the Calusa Creek RR

We had a get-together at Jack’s Calusa Creek RR in Fort Myers - probably the last before we all head back north for the summer. I ran my new boxcab (new to me, anyway.) It has 4 x Li-ion batteries and manual control. The stack is the throttle, and the center radiator is the forward-off-reverse switch. I’ve ordered a Bluerail receiver to make it remote-controlled.

Jack made the hotel - he does a nice job on all the buildings.

Then out came the live steamer. Otto now has a driver, though he shuns publicity.

This spot is the bridge over the waterfall at the end of Jack’s swimming pool.

The train is my newly acquired LGB “Feldbahn” cars. I had no idea they were so big! But they are based on german 600cm (2’) gauge light railway stuff, so they are considerably bigger than 1/22.5 scale. They work really well with these two engines, which are nearer 16mm:ft (1/19th) scale.

We also decided that the ‘wine car’ in the first pics didn’t fit the serious mining train, so it will be sold to the SC&M in Maryland, which serves a winery.

Nice little trains. I’m getting more into little trains as well. Fun to build and run.

John Bouck said:

Nice little trains. I’m getting more into little trains as well. Fun to build and run.

When you live in a condo, you (a) rely on your friends for track access and (b) the trains are small as there is nowhere to store them! I have 6 small engines in the glass-front cabinet next to my desk, along with a General (Ertl kit) and misc other cars.

More pics from yesterdays runs at the Calusa Creek.

First up was Butch with the coaches:

This is a euro-style boxcab with a bunch of 18650 Li batteries and no speed control - the grill at the center of the roof is mounted on a slide switch that does fwd/stop/rev. There is a speed control (brass stack with no paint) but it stopped working. No idea why - it’s an obscure UK thingie.

The two smaller coaches are Faller eTrain - probably about 1:22.5, while the loco is 1:19th (16mm scale) and the baggage is ?? Li’l Big Hauler scale. Got to clean up the puky green!

Then I got out a live steamer, which is a bit more controllable. The driver is a 7/8ths scale guy:

If you are wondering why the driver is standing on an extension plate - here’s the original prototype:

Weird, it seems like there should be pictures in the first post, but I don’t see them, but I see them in the subsequent posts.

Pete, what did you do different in the April posts?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Weird, it seems like there should be pictures in the first post, but I don’t see them, but I see them in the subsequent posts.

Pete, what did you do different in the April posts?

Greg

I deleted my ‘Freightshed’ by accident, so the pics are no longer stored. [We got Bob to clarify the heading links to reduce the likelihood of my doing it again.]

The source says

http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_174/PeterTs%20Folder/Misc%202017/20170412_112940_butch-calusa-8.jpg

Maybe I can create another copy of the folder and put some photos back?

Edit: Hey, it worked. Helps to know HTML.

Hey Pete- Chaloner looks good with the little cars.

Say hi to jack for me

Jerry

What a beautiful layout, thanks Pete. Glad that it seemed to survive the hurricane ok, but I’m sure there are stories…