Large Scale Central

3D printed GP9 Kadee adapter

I’ve designed an adapter to put Kadee remote couplers (11220) on the USAT GP9. The part slides over the existing posts and uses the original screws to secure it to the body. It has holes for the #4 screws that come with the coupler. The only modification required to the engine is to cut a slot for the gear box to protrude through the front. The whole installation takes about 10 minutes.

This would also accommodate the 906/830 gearbox.

Hi Eric, Awesome. I live in NH. How do I get some of these!!! I use the Kadee 906 or Phoenix remote coupler. Our club meeting is next Thursday if you are prepared to sell these. Any plans to do SD-70 and Aristo Dash-9?

Don

Ditto…

I have a number of USAT… at least 2 GP9… (but they are really GP7’s)

Greg

Hi Don-

I’m a new member of the club (NHGRS, I assume), but teach on Thursday nights, so I haven’t been able to make a meeting.

I designed the part in Fusion 360, and then had it printed by someone on 3dhubs.com. I do have a 3D printer of my own ordered, but it will be a few weeks before I have it. I’d be happy to share the stl file if you have a way to print it.

Eric

Eric,

Very nice work! I would order several if you made an adapter for the #1 scale 820/1906.

No plans for auto coupling but would love to use 820/1906’s on that design.

Mike

Eric, that is so cool. PM sent,

I’ll ask the guy who printed these for me what it would cost to do a bunch of them.

Michael Foster said:

Eric,

Very nice work! I would order several if you made an adapter for the #1 scale 820/1906.

No plans for auto coupling but would love to use 820/1906’s on that design.

Mike

I think that’s the same screw pattern, right?

The 820/1906 has a smaller foot print. The nice thing about the remote couplers is the coupler box is the same for both “G” and “#1

Oh, ok. If someone can give me the hole spacing in both directions for the 820, I could easily adapt the model.

I talked to the guy who printed them for me, and he’s interested in doing a run of them. I’d need about $9/pair for them, plus postage. I’ll put this up in the classifieds area to make it official.

Eric, I have not checked to see if this fits other USAT locos, have you?

I’ll take 4 pairs right off… let me know where to send $$

my email is in my signature.

Greg

Greg ask and you shall receive!

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/26810/usat-gp9-to-kadee-830-adapters/view/post_id/337278

The only other engines I have are the GP30 and F3, and they both have different attachment setups. I wouldn’t mind working up adapters for those, though. The GP30 should be simple. I’ve already kluged couplers onto the F3, and it was a pain because of the plow in front and the very short distance in the back between the traction motor and the rear edge.

There’s also a need for an adapter for the NW2

1906 vs. 906 differences using my plastic calipers

Jim, do you mean “1906 vs. 820 differences” using your calipers? Or am I confused?

Hey Eric, maybe you could design a Kadee adapter block to fit the older style USA Trains reefers and box cars (?)

Michael Kirrene said:

Jim, do you mean “1906 vs. 820 differences” using your calipers? Or am I confused?

Thanks Michael, should be 1906 vs. 906