Forums Power and Sound Power and Sound
  • Topic: Logging mallet 2 6 6 2 T

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 9, 2017 7:33 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        97
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        3

      Logging mallet 2 6 6 2 T

      what are the Brown white orange yellow  wires in the coal bunker for?   Anybody can tell if it is for a battery trailing car and which wire does what? Thanks!

    • April 9, 2017 9:36 PM EDT
      • Chelmsford, MA
         
      • Posts
        677
      • Thanks
        38
      • Thanked
        138

      Manfred Diel said:

      what are the Brown white orange yellow  wires in the coal bunker for?   Anybody can tell if it is for a battery trailing car and which wire does what? Thanks!

      Just 4 wires that go from the coal bunker to the area near the socket.  Makes it easier to install whatever you like in the coal bunker area

       

      Stan

    • April 13, 2017 8:59 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        97
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        3

      got the revo  sierra sound installed everything works except i can't get the optical chuff sensors to work,any hints are appreciated!  Manfred

    • April 13, 2017 9:06 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        9,393
      • Thanks
        249
      • Thanked
        861

      I think they switch voltage the opposite way the sierra expects.

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • April 13, 2017 11:01 PM EDT
      • Chelmsford, MA
         
      • Posts
        677
      • Thanks
        38
      • Thanked
        138

      Manfred Diel said:

      got the revo  sierra sound installed everything works except i can't get the optical chuff sensors to work,any hints are appreciated!  Manfred

       

      Manfred

       

      Two possibilities

       

      The older revolution boards do not export a + and - DC voltage needed to power the internal locomotive electronics.  Best way to check is to put a volt meter on the  + and - pins or solder connections.  If no voltage then either connect the battery (if RC) to the + - or install a rectifier from track inputs to the +- so that you have DC in the locomotive to power the electronics.

       

      Its been awhile since I played with the sierra sound system.  The chuff in the 2-6-6-2 makes a connection to ground for each chuff.  You may have to connect the ground connection in the Sierra to the 2-6-6-2 so that the grounds are common.

       

      Looking at the install documents for the sierra with the K27 some additional effort might be required.

       

      You might need to install a .1uF capacitor to the underside of the (DC) Dummy PC Board between J1:5 and J1:7 (chuff and ground).  The purpose of this capacitor is to remove any noise from the circuit.

       

      You might need to install a 1uF capacitor between Sierra pins 11 and 12.  Make sure you install the – lead to pin 12.  The purpose of this capacitor is to widen the chuff pulse at higher speeds.

       

      These extra capacitors may or may not be needed with the 2-6-6-2

       

      The 2-6-6-2 has one other fun feature.  The front engine and rear engine each have a set of chuff generators.  When this type of articulated locomotive is running at slow speeds the engineer configure the steam so that high power steam powers each engine separately which causes each locomotive to create an independent chuff which can go into or out of sync.    As the locomotive speeds up the engineer sets the the exhaust of the high power cylinders to power the low power cylinders creating one set of exhausts.

       

      On one of our 2-6-6-2 with a phoenix sound I configure two chuff trigers and use a function to turn on the second trigger producing the desired effect.

       

      Hope that helps.

       

      Stan

    • April 15, 2017 11:46 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        97
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        3

      Thanks Stan,helped a lot ,got the chuff working without connecting the sierra grnd wire,only the front chuff works connected to J2-2 ,could not figure out the rear truck chuff generator ,i like  the idea articulated /conventional chuff  switch(i ll use the revolution 1 aux latched )to turn it on/off ,if i could  figure out which connection enables the rear chuff! When both chuffs work the i can try the capacitor suggestion to widen the pulse on high speed!

      My main hobby is live steam but sparky's (specially the logging engines )have a flair of their own!

      TX,Manfred

    • April 16, 2017 7:59 AM EDT
      • Chelmsford, MA
         
      • Posts
        677
      • Thanks
        38
      • Thanked
        138

      Manfred Diel said:

      Thanks Stan,helped a lot ,got the chuff working without connecting the sierra grnd wire,only the front chuff works connected to J2-2 ,could not figure out the rear truck chuff generator ,i like  the idea articulated /conventional chuff  switch(i ll use the revolution 1 aux latched )to turn it on/off ,if i could  figure out which connection enables the rear chuff! When both chuffs work the i can try the capacitor suggestion to widen the pulse on high speed!

      My main hobby is live steam but sparky's (specially the logging engines )have a flair of their own!

      TX,Manfred

      Mandred

       

      One chuff is connected to J1-5 the other J2-2.  If the J1-5 connection is not working try reversing the 4 wire chuff plugs to help isolate the problem.  Also make sure you bend out the J1-5 pin on the board you have plugged in the socket as you never know what is connected to it.

       

      Stan

    • April 16, 2017 9:57 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        97
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        3

      bent the pin+i guess its the board to revo J1-5 pin?

      exchanged the 4 prong chuff plug on the board with each other get only chuff from the front track working with both 4 pin plugs! 

    • April 17, 2017 8:31 AM EDT
      • Chelmsford, MA
         
      • Posts
        677
      • Thanks
        38
      • Thanked
        138

      Manfred Diel said:

      bent the pin+i guess its the board to revo J1-5 pin?

      exchanged the 4 prong chuff plug on the board with each other get only chuff from the front track working with both 4 pin plugs! 

       

      I assume that you mean that with the front chuff plug plugged into the front chuff socket you get a chuff but when the rear chuff plug is plugged into the front socket you get no chuff.  Is this correct?

       

      Stan

    • April 17, 2017 7:20 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        97
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        3

      exactly ,no go on the rear! Checked the board and one of the pins was "spot soldered" fixed it and it works now! Thanks for your help! No matter haw much you pay there is always someone who screws up(Pun at Bman ,unwilling to sent me a copy of the instructions! ) 

    • April 28, 2017 11:33 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        97
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        3

      Received e-mail from B man while in europe my Manual is in the mail! Guess crying online helps a little!  Thanks Bachmann(customer service) 

Forums Power and Sound Power and Sound

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google