Large Scale Central

A little bit of scratch building

I have been tinkering with some bits of “treasure” that I collected over time trying to make a load for a scratchbuilt flat car.

This is what I came up with when I combined an old windscreen washer pump, an armature from an old battery drill a flangeless steam loco driver wheel, a piece of 4mm irrigation riser and an old wire coat hanger.

I have a motor from an old printer which I am thinking would make a good generator driven by my steam engine.

I think I went a bit heavy handed with the paint but then again I have seen some at steam festivals that were heavily painted as well.

Great “scratch!” (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Looks like it could pass for something on the BBC’s Edwardian Farm series.

The paint on generator has now dried so here is a pic of it and a rough idea of how the 2 will marry up.
The "belt is a piece of elastic from SWMBO’s aka the wife’s sewing stuff.

I do have an old audio transformer that may get a run as the load for the generator as well.

I think you picked the right colours, those loads look good. Nice job.

LOVE IT!

That looks so good and the colours are just right.

I saw it and it sparked my mechanical mind, what is it, where does it fit and how does it work? It is going to look really good on a flat car.

What a treasure you created, Graeme. The paint looks good also. Can’t wait to see it rolling down the rails on a flatcar.

Very nice creation Graeme! That will all look fantastic loaded on a flat. I might suggest that it would be shipped with the exhaust detached and strapped down on the deck with other support equipment for the installation. Don’t forget a finished picture with everything loaded. Looks great!

Nice use of parts Graeme. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:
Very nice creation Graeme! That will all look fantastic loaded on a flat. I might suggest that it would be shipped with the exhaust detached and strapped down on the deck with other support equipment for the installation. Don’t forget a finished picture with everything loaded. Looks great!

OK folks standby to standby!!!

I have been having a few cleansing ales and my imagination has gone into overdrive.

No hints of what I have in mind, only to say it is way out of the box as far as builds go.

I really should stop drinking beer and looking at projects, it just get me into all sorts of strife.

I get into that kind of strife, and I don’t drink beer all that often. Mine is a natural high…I mean self induced…without any agricultural nor chemical enhancements.

Well I did warn you, after a few ales my imagination got of its leash and had a run around.
As a result the flat car load has morphed into Frankenwagen.
I was thinking (well was I thinking) something along the lines of a power wagon that could be shunted onto a siding at a logging camp to provide electrickery for the huts.
The managing director being built for comfort and not for speed with a passion for Glamping ordered it built as he did not want to be using oil lamps when the new fangled technology was available.
I am still kicking around a weatherproof cover for the generator and transformer but some visual detail will have to be given up for that.

but some visual detail will have to be given up for that.

Not if you just do a roof, and leave the sides open.

David Maynard said:

Why not just dub the generator water proof, and be done with it?

Steve Featherkile said:

David Maynard said:

Why not just dub the generator water proof, and be done with it?

After another cleansing ale I came to the same conclusionthat the generator is waterproof.