Large Scale Central

just curious. Do you...

do you have situations, like the following?

you got an idea, you make the envisioned model (or part of model) you are satisfied with it. everything is fine…

… and then you try to duplicate that thing…

… and one try after the other goes wrong, wronger, wrongest.

i’m asking, because i’m beginning to feel stupid.

for over half a year now i try to copy a wall with doors, i made for the third floor of my 2011 begun model of a hotel, to have identical - or at least similar - doors in the second floor.

if i remember right, the next try might be the fifth or sixth.

does that happen to you too?

if yes, is there a remedy or work aound?

Happens to all of us, I think. I have half of a heavy mining locomotive built. It has two ends. I built the one end and got it to a point where I liked how it looked, then started on the other end. Three failed starts later, I cant for the life of me duplicate what I did.

That’s why I make all my buildings different. Less frustrating…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I do as well. Or I can invision it in my minds eye, but for the life of me cannot bring it to fruitation in real life. Right now my stumbling block is fitting valve gear control in my custom Roundhouse Super Sammie upgrade I am doing. Every idea backfires. I usually find I need to step away from the project for awhile, then come back at a later time. That later time might be days, weeks or even a year or two later. I will usually find the motivation or solution when I am NOT looking or thinking about it. I get those “light bulb!” moments and have been known to get up in the middle of the night, less the idea be lost if I go back to sleep. Mike

If I’m building something that has more than a couple of the same parts, (such as windows in a building), I usually set up a little assembly line and make all the parts a one time, plus a few extras. Or a set of cars such as the disconnects I’m working on now, I will make all the ends, sides, decking, etc for the entire set.

But as to scratch building something, yes, I can reach an impasse on certain things. I usually just walk away and do something else. When I come back to the project, it usually works out.

Nah, that’s never happened to me…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

I have a “moaning chair,” left over from my last boat building effort. Whenever things seem all FUBAR, I sit in the chair and moan, After about 20 minutes, the solution always seems to present itself.

Once, I had to sit in the chair (figuratively) for a year and a half.

Duplicate parts have always been trouble for me. That’s why I learned how to cast parts. But that adds a whole new layer…

Mike Toney said:

I do as well. Or I can invision it in my minds eye, but for the life of me cannot bring it to fruitation in real life. Right now my stumbling block is fitting valve gear control in my custom Roundhouse Super Sammie upgrade I am doing. Every idea backfires. I usually find I need to step away from the project for awhile, then come back at a later time. That later time might be days, weeks or even a year or two later. I will usually find the motivation or solution when I am NOT looking or thinking about it. I get those “light bulb!” moments and have been known to get up in the middle of the night, less the idea be lost if I go back to sleep. Mike

That’s why I used to keep a notepad and pencil by my bed. Because ideas tend to come to me when I am falling asleep. But then my dog discovered the pencil, and chewed them up each time I set one out.

But yea, if I am going to build multiples of something, I make a jig, or a form to build them in/with so they come out about the same.

My passenger cars took 2 years to build, because I couldn’t figure out the roof ends. Then one night the solution came to me. It was so flippin simple… I wrote it down, and then the next week I dusted off the cars and finished the darn things.

Bob McCown said:

Happens to all of us, I think.

YES!!!

Error #1

TEST

This post has been edited and then sold… You can visit the page it was sold too {…[email protected]} for further reference.

I’ve done that before Rooster… It sucks especially when it is a special part… :slight_smile:

Yup. You bet I do!

thanks for the answers.

it is consoling, not to be the only stoop-it around.

When I was building the ends for my passenger cars, I got the wood grain in the door going the wrong direction. So I had to build another end. All hand build with basswood. It was a tad annoying, but no major issue.