Large Scale Central

Deluxe Caboose

The brass hat sez he found us the perfect caboose, we can convert a boxcar he said…

I love the all weather seats on top!

John

Gee, isn’t that the USA work series wood-side boxcar?

Bring an umbrella.

Right scale for us, eh?

Just hang some marker lights and raid the Quakers for some nice wooden pews, built for posture, not comfort!

Looks like a Delton roof.

John

Love it… Wood Side, Murphy roof, Truss rods, Air conditioned cupola, Hey whats a few cinders between crew members.

Just watch when the slack runs out or runs into the couplers. If you get thrown out of your seat, you could have a long fall.

I remember reading these were called “Hollywood” cars in a Santa Fe book. Not sure why they were called Hollywood though.

Matt Doti said:

I remember reading these were called “Hollywood” cars in a Santa Fe book. Not sure why they were called Hollywood though.

Cause they were OLD?

Ya Know, If you had the run from Victorville to Needles in mid August for the day train, You would probably like the ride.

Did some digging;

Hollywood waycars.

Made from 36’ boxcars. 100 made as well as some reefers made from same boxcars after the war.

Roamed from Tex to New Mexico and So. Cal

War Emergency Caboose

Not all had the overhead benches

John

I always liked this NYC War Emergency caboose

Dave, I am not a fan of bugs in my teeth.

Bob, now that is cool. Just what I didn’t need, another future project. Oh, is my inner Devon showing again?

Ah the bucket keeps getting bigger

I get a kick out of seeing old, weird, “prototype for anything” cars. Thanks for posting.

I’ve built a couple based on old pics.

Here is the Potlatch Lumber Co Caboose. Built and held together with braces and cables. Prolly a flatcar as a base.

OK rising to the challenge…

Recycled switches in our new yard … only one little detail … they are all wyes!

John

Cool John, that actually answers a question I had regarding an HO project I am Devoning. Uh, I mean, planning

How many derailments there?

Very interesting assortment of cabooses! That first one with the open-air “cupola” is a hoot.

This is what happens when your caboose is built at the ship yard. Recycled Windows.