Large Scale Central

Shoulda seen it coming!

Tou would think that at least one of these folks woud have seen this coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Cb9x70gYQ&feature=youtu.be

What’s the probability there is a correlation between every one of them holding a “smart” phone and getting slammed? And what about the character filming the whole thing?

Although, it does look kind of like fun, which maybe makes me not too smart either!!!

edit to include the video…

Yeah, that ‘not too smart’ factor,

Witnesses said some people were knocked to the ground. At least one minor head injury was reported…

One man who recorded video of the incident, Craig Oleszewski, told WNBC-TV that it looked like the train overshot the platform. However, a railroad expert told the TV station the train appeared to be going at regular speed in order to clear the snow off the track.
http://www.wusa9.com/news/amtrak-train-knocks-over-commuters-with-snow-wave/423018217

want to bet there will be a lawsuit filed by monday?

So, I have to ask again; why do they call it common sense when it is not all that common?

Experience on the two footer shows that a certain amount of inertia helps trains get through snow banks, if that train was planning to stop at that platform, he had quite enough inertia! Didn’t look like he would a stopped until the next station at least. He was mooooovin!

I guess if I was waiting at that platform and he came barreling through without warning I’d be kinda passed off. He should have been going slowly through there with passengers on the platform, or the station staff (if there are any) should have cleared the platform. Those guys who got hurt will rightfully win their law suit. You know you and I would have been right there with tat lady watching!

Lol you can’t fix stupid. But you think an employee would have warned them

He should have been going slowly through there with passengers on the platform, or the station staff (if there are any) should have cleared the platform.

The platform has clearly been cleared by a snowblower that cut right up to the platform edge. But not the tracks - the station staff should have figured that the next train would throw the snow back on the platform!

And he was clealy going fast enough to clear the snow, but should not have been doing that with passengers about. I wonder what miscommunication was going on. . .

I think most of us would have put 2 and 2 together and saw as that train approached it was throwing snow pretty good and we would have backed away.

It is a shame that these people were either so stuck to their phones or lacked common sense to protect themselves that they didn’t see the danger.

Maybe workers at the station should have moved everyone back from the platform as the train approached since the people failed to see the danger.

No doubt there will be lawsuits and the RR will pay out.

These people were all aware of what was going to happen, they all clearly have their phones out to record it, and turn away only after filming as much as they could.

It was their decision to get the video, one of which we also “bought into” by watching and posting here.

I believe in Darwinism, eventually the stupid ones will be removed from the gene pool.

Greg

Did you watch the full 1:24min (2 video versions);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51jmndHEr4

LoL like the 2nd vid operator ! He saw what was coming at him … but definitely not the one verbal within mic p/u …

Doug C

p.s. Even if one of us had been there and spoke up to warn people they would ah just looked at ya . . . . ‘don’t spoil my day’ !

Been there in that type of situation, spoke up, and thought of as a negative thinkin’ person (usually on vacation). Well people lack of common sense will wack ya or sadly kill ya, with no reset button in the real world !

Greg…they breed as fast as they die…no hope for the gene pool…!!

I’m amazed at the number of people, rail fanatics included, that stand too close to the tracks. Having been around railroads for most of my life, I have seen so many things dragging from railcars, and have seen stuff get thrown to the side by trains, that I will NEVER stand closer than 25 feet or more from a moving train, and that in most cases is still way too close. Common Sense passed away many generations ago, for those that don’t know. The wake was held…you missed it.

Good thing I’m not a judge, I’d instantly toss out any lawsuit - “You people live in snow country. You see snow plows throw snow on the roads. You were standing right next to snow obviously a foot deeper than where you were. Your distance from the train was around the same as your own height. You have enough data and enough deductive reasoning ability to make use of that data and your life experience. That you decided to ignore it all is your choice alone and no one else’s responsibility. Choices and actions have consequences. Case dismissed.”

You don’t have to be some kind autistic savant to be able to deduce that whatever comes down the track WILL be throwing snow when it does - after all, look at me, I’m merely autistic, not a savant, and I’m able to figure these kinds of things out.

Oh, wait, I forgot, those people were all from Bermuda and that was their first time ever seeing snow or a train.

Or maybe none of them have ever seen in person or on the news a snow plow throwing snow off the road.

Or maybe they’ve never seen what happens when a car’s bumper is lower than the toop of the snow compared to what happens when an SUV or garbage truck has a front bumper higher than the snow top. And maybe they’ve never before seen the train arrive and didn’t know its “front bumper” is a big metal plate which almost touches the rails.

Oh, and on top of autism I have several endocrine and neurological disease which are really roughing me up today to the point where it isn’t safe or me to drive - and I still was able to put all these data points together - healthy people have no excuse for failing to do similar, no excuse, none, zero.

Doug Cannon said:

Did you watch the full 1:24min (2 video versions);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51jmndHEr4

LoL like the 2nd vid operator ! He saw what was coming at him … but definitely not the one verbal within mic p/u …

Doug C

p.s. Even if one of us had been there and spoke up to warn people they would ah just looked at ya . . . . ‘don’t spoil my day’ !

Been there in that type of situation, spoke up, and thought of as a negative thinkin’ person (usually on vacation). Well people lack of common sense will wack ya or sadly kill ya, with no reset button in the real world !

Yea, I have been there, done that. I was curbside waiting for the walk signal when a woman walked up to the curb, while talking on her cell phone. I could tell that she wasn’t slowing her gait any, and when she went to step off the curb I put my hand on her shoulder and pulled back. This caused her to stop, glare at me with “just drop dead look”, right as traffic started whizzing by.

Fred Mills, BSc, (Sd, ss) said:

Greg…they breed as fast as they die…no hope for the gene pool…!!

I’m amazed at the number of people, rail fanatics included, that stand too close to the tracks. Having been around railroads for most of my life, I have seen so many things dragging from railcars, and have seen stuff get thrown to the side by trains, that I will NEVER stand closer than 25 feet or more from a moving train, and that in most cases is still way too close. Common Sense passed away many generations ago, for those that don’t know. The wake was held…you missed it.

Yea, at the Oil Creek railroad, we were told to stand clear of the tracks, because they were going to be switching out some freight cars. So 4 or 5 “rail-fans” went and planted themselves up on the tracks so they could get some good pictures of the locomotive. As the conductor was telling them, at high volume so he could be heard over the locomotive, to get out of there because the crew was about to put some freight cars there, those 4 or 5 were joined by 2 more “rail-fans”.

Greg, Darwinism only works if they parish BEFORE they reproduce. Once they have reproduced, we just have more twits.