Large Scale Central

I got dad-napped

my daughters dad-napped me. daddy, we found something you MUST see! bring your camera.

whot is it?

you’ll see…

so, after driving six hours to them, and a nights rest, off we went for a two hours drive.

on the right seat, i remembered how to pray, frequently stepped on the non existent brake pedal - and asked myself, who was that idiot, who teached them how to drive…

(they took terms at the wheel. one seems to be specialized in ignoring traffic lights and stop signs, the other is working on her master in overtaking at continous yellow lines… typical southamericans.)

finally two cool young ladies and a deranged old man got to the destination.

to see this!!

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

well, they had me brought to Sapucai station.

that is a “Museum” of sorts (meaning a collection of things that nobody found a use for, so they stayed in place)

the paraguayan railroad as first in south america started to operate in 1861 till the late 1950ies. then it decayed piece by piece. parts of the line were abandoned, some parts struggled on a bit longer, mainly by providing short fun (or horror?) rides for tourists.

the last operating part went once a week from the center of the capital to one of the suburb towns (about 25 miles)

in the early 1980ies that was finished too.

this Sabucai station aparently was on a stretch of not so very bad track, so they maintained a local tourist ride, until the last loco could not be repaired any more.

that was No 151.

you will get more pics of the assorted junk, we encountered, when i have resized more photos.

Interesting cow catcher on that thing…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Too cool.

Reminds me of the train I saw in Ecuador in 1960…

Oh, the daughters may be ‘extreme sports’ type drivers but that they cared enough to pull you in to the adventure tells me they turned out okay enough. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

pssst, i was the idiot who taught them to drive. but don’t tell anybody.

and, yes, they turned out better, than i dared to hope.

Oh that is cool. On one hand its neat to see stuff like that. On the other hand its sad to see stuff like that.

I inferred that you were the idiot in question. We have those types of drivers around here too. In fact, I meant to ask at the courthouse, how I can get a stop sign waver too. I mean, since so many people don’t stop, and they don’t seam to get citations for not stopping, they must have a waver, right?

Sweet

David Maynard said:… I mean, since so many people don’t stop, and they don’t seam to get citations for not stopping, they must have a waver, right?

nope. down here preference depends of size of car an size of cow-catcher.

we are machos! size matters!

forgot one pic of 151

now to the roling stock.

there was one crewcar (or tourist car??)

and here the other 50% of still existing roling stock:

i found interesting, how the stakes were fixed. never noticed that before.

and for the fun of it, a railroad bridge.

the abuttments and the rails were still there.

they even had a turntable at that station.

Cool!

Boy it would be a lot of fun to salvage that turn table. Do you ask if they would let oyu take it home?

Water and water plants in the turntable pit. Now I really would like to model that.

talking about water and pits…

the ash pit is very modern. it has an in-built automatic to dowse any fire, the hot ashes might start.

these locos, whose remnants i saw, were built in glasgow, scotland, in 1910 by North British Locomotive Co. Ltd.

the loco in the best state was the one we saw at the entrance…

i can not get the pics to show up. i will try tomorrow

edit’s edit: i had uploaded the pics to the wrong folder. feeling very senior now…

edit’s edit: i had uploaded the pics to the wrong folder. feeling very senior now…

Maybe Korm, but you still provide some interesting content when you post. And we’re all getting old-er(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Korm said : Ash Pit ! However far from modern ?

Superliners cannot dump in that Ashpit

Not even the smoker’s car?

Cool! The engine has an English look to it!?!?