Forums General Track and Trestles
  • Topic: Bluestone Southern's Road to Memphis

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 11, 2017 10:51 PM EST
      • Nashville, IL

• Thanks

Bluestone Southern's Road to Memphis

Last summer/fall (2016), we started on the retaining wall for the ""Road to Memphis""..

The following pictures show the progression of the wall.

Over the fall/winter, we had left the dirt to slowly pack in with the rain..

Since the winter has been so terrible..  (The 70 degree days make you sweat)..  We built the wall separating the ""Road to Memphis"" on the front portion of the retaining wall, and the town of Freeman Spur, which will be located behind and above the ""Road to Memphis""

Below are shots of the Freeman Spur rock wall...  Pictures flow right (west side) to the left (east side)...

Tracks are being prepped for installation, and hopefully will start being install upon return from the ECLSTS in York...

• March 12, 2017 5:16 AM EDT
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Is it done yet?..................

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• March 12, 2017 9:46 AM EDT
      • Burke, Virginia

• Thanks

It's already immortalized in a book...

They couldn't find Hope to do the movie...

Hope it's done for your fall session...

Bruce

http://jbrr.com/

• March 12, 2017 9:10 PM EDT
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

Nice progress!

• March 12, 2017 10:10 PM EDT
      • romeoville, illinois

• Thanks

Looks great Andy .

• March 18, 2017 10:41 PM EDT
      • Nashville, IL

• Thanks

Trackwork began for the Memphis Sub and the spur line to the town of Freeman Spur..  Installed a " Y " switch just off the bridge from Woodlawn, where the tracks swung right to the location of the old Memphis

Below are some pictures of the area being worked.

Pictures below show the start of the revised tracks..

A " Y " switch was cut into the original tracks  as the tracks come off the bridge from Woodlawn.  The Memphis sub starts at the Y-switch and turns left..  When the track straightens back out, another right hand #6 switch is installed, creating the branchline to the town of Freedom Spur..

Picture below shows the tracks installed to the point where the bridges start.   The track on the left with the dark ties will be the branchline to Freedom Spur..  Tracks are dark as they are the old wooden ties..   Just after that branchline switch, is another switch which will be the start of the Memphis Sub double track mainline that will run to the location where Memphis will actually be located on the railroad...

The Memphis sub mainline will be slightly difficult to see, as it has concrete ties, which is almost the same color as the roadbed..

Hopefully, tomorrow, we can start to set out the bridges that will span the area between retaining walls which will allow for rainfall drainage..

Stay tuned...

• March 19, 2017 7:43 AM EDT
      • inside out, Pa

• Thanks

Always following along. 

• March 19, 2017 9:36 PM EDT
      • Nashville, IL

• Thanks

Below is a picture of the start of the bridge installation..

The bridges on the right will be the double mainline to Memphis...  This consists of 2 bridges back to back...  Spans 24ft total...

The single track bridges on the left will be the bridges to the town of Freeman Spur....  The single track bridges will span approx. 28ft using various lengths of bridges..  There are 2 - 6ft bridges, a 4ft bridge, 3 - 3ft bridges  and a 1ft bridge that will make up the Freeman Spur bridge...   The picture shows a 4ft bridge at the far end and the 2 - 6ft bridges..

Along with working on bridge placement, we also worked on continuing the retaining wall curving it around, and running it back to old Memphis station location..

You can see the supervisor (Jinx) laying on the left, surveying the operations...

• March 20, 2017 8:37 AM EDT
      • Easton Mass. some times Cocagne NB,

• Thanks

Someone has to be able to go for help!

My you-tube

The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think... Do you know why Tank like trains...They taste good!

• March 20, 2017 9:39 AM EDT
      • Burke, Virginia

• Thanks

Very impressive Andy.

Hope it's done by October! 

I also hope that Google gets a more updated picture before then...

Bruce

• March 20, 2017 9:46 AM EDT
      • Nashville, IL

• Thanks

Thanks Bruce...    Actually, that picture is almost up to date....  Those 2 white squares on the triangle dirt are the 2 skids of rocks that made up the wall between Freeman Spur and the Memphis mainline...

• March 20, 2017 1:17 PM EDT
      • Deer Park, Washington

• Thanks

Wow!  I had no idea.  A visit is on my bucket list, fo sho.

Not only does my mind wander, sometimes it walks off completely.

Some people try to turn back their odometers.  Not me.  I want people to know why I look this way.  I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.  Will Rogers.

• March 20, 2017 6:54 PM EDT
      • Nashville, IL

• Thanks

Steve Featherkile said:

Anytime, Steve...   

• March 21, 2017 7:52 AM EDT
      • Burke, Virginia

• Thanks

Steve Featherkile said:

Come this October!    You should probably avoid the train, though; the Empire Builder to Chicago is 40 hours late!

Bruce

• March 21, 2017 10:21 AM EDT
      • Prescott Valley, AZ

• Thanks

Hi Andy......  When I first read the post headline, I was a bit concerned about this undertaking.  

It's my understanding that Memphis is 257 miles or so south of Nashville..   You're a few miles south of Nashville so it's probably closer to 253.  Laying all that G gauge track is going to take great effort and then you'll need to walk along side the trains all the way, have battery charging stations every few miles and places of rest and refreshments.  

You might consider moving up to 7 1/2 inch "Ride-On" gauge so you could at least sit in the control car and have the locomotive powered by the gas engines pulling the trains.  That way, you could run the track through towns on the way to Memphis and "gas up" as needed.  Although, you may have quite a bit of gas. 

Anyway, just a thought.  Just thinking of your well being.     Have fun with the project....  

• March 21, 2017 1:20 PM EDT
      • Deer Park, Washington

• Thanks

Bruce Chandler said:
      Steve Featherkile said:

Come this October!    You should probably avoid the train, though; the Empire Builder to Chicago is 40 hours late!

The Builder is always late.  BNSF is still trying to find their way through Marias Pass.

A couple of years ago, I planned to take the train from Spokane to Ontario, CA, to visit my son at NCB 2 in Port Huineme.  I thought about leaving from Spokane on the Portland section of the Builder, have a 4 hr layover in Portland, the south on the Coast Starlight.  Then, realizing that it was December, I elected to drive to Portland early, spend the night with my daughter and her husband, and head south the next day.  I drove through a blizzard on the way to Portland, so I thought that I had made a wise choice.  Little did I know how right I was.

As the Coast Starlight was pulling out of the Portland station, with me on it, the Builder, that was supposed to arrive 4 hrs earlier, was just pulling in.  Amtrak, in their wisdom, decided not to hold the Starlight for the late Builder.  I would have missed that train, and the event that I was going to California, for.

Not only does my mind wander, sometimes it walks off completely.

Some people try to turn back their odometers.  Not me.  I want people to know why I look this way.  I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.  Will Rogers.

• March 21, 2017 1:51 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

the Builder, that was supposed to arrive 4 hrs earlier, was just pulling in.  Amtrak, in their wisdom, decided not to hold the Starlight for the late Builder.

Now there is customer service for you.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• March 21, 2017 1:55 PM EDT
      • Nashville, IL

• Thanks

Stan Cedarleaf said:

Hi Andy......  When I first read the post headline, I was a bit concerned about this undertaking.  

It's my understanding that Memphis is 257 miles or so south of Nashville..   You're a few miles south of Nashville so it's probably closer to 253.  Laying all that G gauge track is going to take great effort and then you'll need to walk along side the trains all the way, have battery charging stations every few miles and places of rest and refreshments.  

You might consider moving up to 7 1/2 inch "Ride-On" gauge so you could at least sit in the control car and have the locomotive powered by the gas engines pulling the trains.  That way, you could run the track through towns on the way to Memphis and "gas up" as needed.  Although, you may have quite a bit of gas. 

Anyway, just a thought.  Just thinking of your well being.     Have fun with the project....  

Stan, trust me, there are some days that I really believe we are building the railroad to the true Memphis, all 257 miles of it...   

Forums General Track and Trestles

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google