Large Scale Central

Some statistics

We’ve had an influx of new users recently, so I was poking about in the logs and looking at various numbers. In the last 10 days we’ve had about a 15% increase in page views. Since the beginning of February we’ve added 13 new members. The most curious thing in the logs, and I went back a year to verify it, is that somewhere around 20% of the traffic here is access by non-bot, non-logged-in, non-members. i.e. We have a lot of people reading the site that are not members. Interesting.

Bob,

its likely a lot of that is coming from MLS members checking out other Large Scale forums. Your site has been talked about over there as a possible “replacement” for MLS, which has been suffering a lot of issues lately.

I would suspect a lot of MLS members have seen those posts, and then as a result stopped over here to check out LSC, but perhaps haven’t joined yet.

Scot

Bob, I have a question for you. Lots of times I quickly check in to see if anything is going on, but I don’t take the time to log-in. Maybe I’m the only one who does that, I don’t know. My question is, How does activity like that show up in the statistics?

Just curious.

John Passaro said:

Bob, I have a question for you. Lots of times I quickly check in to see if anything is going on, but I don’t take the time to log-in. Maybe I’m the only one who does that, I don’t know. My question is, How does activity like that show up in the statistics?

Just curious.

I do the same thing. I use the list on the Home page to see if there is something new or interesting.

I only sign in if I want to post. Like now for instance.

I do the same thing. For some reason, the browser in my phone doesn’t remember my login.

John Passaro said:

Just curious.

The logs will show a visit from a certain IP. When Im looking at the data, I can group by IPs, or blocks of IPs, so I can generally tell if a member is visiting the site, even if he’s not logged in.

I just looked at the MLS site. It said 27 members and 219 guests. I counted the members and that matched the 27, so I guess there were 219 guests? Maybe its common to have a lot of non members looking at the forums.

Bob McCown said:

We’ve had an influx of new users recently, so I was poking about in the logs and looking at various numbers. In the last 10 days we’ve had about a 15% increase in page views. Since the beginning of February we’ve added 13 new members. The most curious thing in the logs, and I went back a year to verify it, is that somewhere around 20% of the traffic here is access by non-bot, non-logged-in, non-members. i.e. We have a lot of people reading the site that are not members. Interesting.

I joined LSC not too long ago having become discourage with MLS being a member of that Forum for a long time. Aside from MLS having on going “mechanics” problems, including lost images, their member participation seems to have narrowed to mostly live steam, so they remain a good resource for that category; however, for those like myself that have other expressions of “G” trains (not that I may someday delve into live steam), I migrated to LSC. So my main focus is now on LSC for any new topic threads I make. As such, I won’t have to spend time to duplicate efforts, particularly when other sites may be so narrowly focused.

-Ted

Ted Doskaris said:

Bob McCown said:

I joined LSC not too long ago having become discourage with MLS being a member of that Forum for a long time. Aside from MLS having on going “mechanics” problems, including lost images, their member participation seems to have narrowed to mostly live steam, so they remain a good resource for that category; however, for those like myself that have other expressions of “G” trains (not that I may someday delve into live steam), I migrated to LSC. So my main focus is now on LSC for any new topic threads I make. As such, I won’t have to spend time to duplicate efforts, particularly when other sites may be so narrowly focused.

-Ted

Ted, I’ve been saying for a while now that MLS could change its name to MyLiveSteam.

I don’t save browsing history on my BB tablet so when (for example) I chk this forum using it, I’ll read as a “guest”. And whenever I reference a LSC thread item to others (majority non-members) I know they will be able to read, and possibly sign-up as a member.

“…Maybe its common to have a lot of non members looking at the forums…

Common on all internet forums Imho. Called guests or lurkers. :wink:

doug c

I suspect that the up tick is another migration, or as said above, scouting mission. The site was flaky as long as I have been a member there (still am), but I choose to never host anything there for that reason. Once the commercial interest took over, I gave up hope of it ever being fixed as from the get go they made it clear that advertising was their main interest.

Bob McCown said:

Bob, I see that on the site I moderate. A bot or two, and some real people who aren’t members. But I do the same thing. I search for something, and eventually I end up reading a forum somewhere on the topic. I don’t become a member, because once I am done reading that topic, I may never come back. Or, I might.

Bob McCown said:

The logs will show a visit from a certain IP. When Im looking at the data, I can group by IPs, or blocks of IPs, so I can generally tell if a member is visiting the site, even if he’s not logged in.

Damnation!

This throws in a serious snag with my overall evil plan!

Rooster these are proxy servers out there that you can route through, so Bob doesn’t know its you.

" Rooster " said:

Bob McCown said:

Damnation!

This throws in a serious snag with my overall evil plan!

Serious snag or serious nag, either one really gets on a diabolical masterminds nerves.

(don’t ask me how I know that, I’ll be forced to lie)
(wait a minute, a diabolical mastermind has issues with lying?)

(better straighten up and fly right before I have to turn in my villain club membership card)

I always am logged in, thus I can see the unread posts in the forums, I actually read 99% of them.

If I wasn’t logged in, I would not have the nice green arrows to guide me.

Greg