Large Scale Central

Custom Autism car for Imagination Station Kids on Track

Here are some shots of my newest Autism car done up for Imagination Station Kids on Track. Part of a swap deal for some more Lionel cars for my railway. I really enjoy making these and have plans for a Lionel 40’ box car custom job for myself as so as I find another one I do not mind repainting. Last couple I got were mint in the box, hate to repaint those. Mike

Nice Mike.

I once read that kids with autism enjoy watching trains due to all the movement.

The action of a steam engine is the way to go. Sorry to all the powered boxcar fans out there.

I liked both as a young child, but did prefer a steam locomotive. But back then I wasnt undiagnosed, but still autistic. As soon as his package arrives here, I will reuse the box to ship out the 3 passenger cars back to him for the kids to enjoy on the layout. Mike

Nice job Mike!
I already can tell with the bright colors and large lettering that it’s going to be a huge hit at events and I know parents with autistic kids will love it. You have a lot of talent and we really appreciate your had work and time it took to do this. This is going to be a special car we will run at all events. I’ll try and get photos in the future for you also.
Thank you, from all of us at Imagination Station Kids On Track.
Incidentally, Skyler our 11 year old volunteer we spoke of before says; “Cool car, Mike does nice work”
You have a fan!
Thanks Mike!
Ken

Mike,
Forgot to mention, your box went out today at 5 p.m.
Expected delivery date Wednesday, 2/22/2017. Also be aware Monday is a holiday I think, so it may affect the delivery date.
I’ll email you the tracking number.
Ken

Thanks Ken, I dont have a box big enough here, so when yours arrives, I will repack it with the passenger cars. I finaly found the observation car for my own Autism Express, I will get pics of it once I have the decal work done. I am almost done with it. Complete Kalamazoo passenger train done up for Autism, pulled by the red and green MCRR 4-4-0. Mike

Nice! No problem on the return, I could use the box! Emailed the tracking number, hope you got it.
And I would love to see pictures of your autism train equipment.
It’ll be an honor to have a piece of your work.
All the best! Ken ISKOT

Here are some pics of my other custom stuff. Mike

horrible picture, but my 1968 WheelHorse Commado 8.

My one Euro Autism coach

The Autism Express prior to finding the observation car.

Quite a train!
The art and color certainly brings the message out. I hope you get to run the train at some public events so the autism message can get out.
We will use a steam engine also for this train and hopefully spark some interest and facination.
We like your 4-4-0! Wondering though, is the railroad your running on in your yard or someone else’s? It looks well done. Ken

That is my personal garden railroad. Its about 20 foot by 15 foot in size. Then we have a 20x12 overhead loop in our living room for winter and rainy day operation. Running my trains is part of my therapist ordered daily routine to keep my anxiety under control. Even as an adult, being on the spectrum has its daily challenges, some days more that others. Here are some pics of my garden railway from last year. Mike the Aspie

I make constant changes and upgrades, like in the bottom pic, the platform is now to the right of the depot and there is a “house” side track in front of the platform to park a single box car. All the buildings are lighted and come on when the path lights turn on for the night. So even when trains are not running, its fun just to sit and look at the village and get lost in my own little world. I really needed to mow in that bottom pic, and I think I did right after I took the picture. Mike the Aspie

Understand that mowing issue, believe me. I have 3 acres and 3 acres of dust to. Your truly an artist, I can’t imagine the maintenance on the plants, track and scenery. You’ve done a fantastic job! I wish our fake grass on plywood were more scenic but I am sure you understand that too much scenery gets broken up in moving constantly. We used to have a very highly detailed layout but it was extremely heavy and a lot of repairs were constantly necessary due to it getting hit and banged up on a regular basis. So we went to this layout supported by metal sawhorses which are under 6 foot by 3 foot sections of 1/2 inch plywood, 2 x 2’s, and astro turf.
Its 2 track main allows 2 children to run at once and the layout is expandable length wise and width wise. It can measure 24 ft. X 32 ft. at it’s smallest and is expandable to as far or wide as you wish. (with more saw horses)
The nice part is our volunteers can make scenery changes every time we set up so it’s always different.
Not as nice as your real garden railroad but kids still get to enjoy the hobby where they might otherwise not have had the chance.
There is something about large scale that just can’t be beat by any other scale and the public always seems to swarm around the G scale layouts.
If you haven’t already, you should maybe put a video of your layout in operation on You Tube. (and here) I’m sure people would love to see it! Once again, if you haven’t already done so. Nice setup!
Thanks for sharing the photos! Ken

I have done some short videos of a train making a couple laps as the layout is so small. I am planning on new pictures as soon as the railway wakes up from its winter nap. I am in the middle of writing an article for the LCCA(Lionel Collectors Club Association) about trains and my life on the spectrum. The older pics are mostly of LGB and my Kalamazoo trains. I want to get new pics with my Lionel Large scale running on the layout and the newest changes to the layout. Mike

Do you have any of the videos or photos posted anywhere as of yet? Love to see them. Ken

Double post again???

But where’s the spinner? It has to have something that spins on it. (I spent hours spinning things.)

Maybe a propeller? or a flag? Something to definitely think about!
Ken

Sounds like a good idea for a low side gondola load, like a helicopter where someone can spin the rotor as it goes by. Hmmmm.

Yea,
A gondola would certainly work better than the top of a passenger car, height restrictions ya know.
I’m sure the cows and telephone poles wouldn’t approve if the load was a bit on the wide side (rotors) so it would have to be small. Could be done.
It’s a good idea!
Ken

Your cars went out in yesterdays Mail, you should get them the first of next week. Mike