Large Scale Central

Chain and sprockets

I am wondering if anyone makes chain and sprockets that could be used for a small chain drive. I see that Plastruct does but seems large at three links per inch. Is there smaller stuff?

Just found that grandt line has some that might work. Anyone know about this stuff? Its about 8 links to the inch and they have several different size sprockets.

Devon ,

I have just received an order of chain and sprockets for a project, they are Delrin plastic or something similar. The sprockets are reasonable at a buck plus each, the chain however is not so much at nearly $10 per foot but it is nice stuff and very much smaller than what you mention.

If your interested I can get more information on it tomorrow.

Rick

Rick Marty said:

Devon ,

I have just received an order of chain and sprockets for a project, they are Delrin plastic or something similar. The sprockets are reasonable at a buck plus each, the chain however is not so much at nearly $10 per foot but it is nice stuff and very much smaller than what you mention.

If your interested I can get more information on it tomorrow.

Rick

Yeah Rick I would be interested.

Hi Devon,
Check out the chain and sprockets at MicroMark. I have about 7’ of this chain and possibly some sprockets. I goofed when I ordered it as I only needed about one foot. The links are plastic and spread open to lock onto the next link. I used this chain and sprockets on the gearmotor drives for my turntable. I’m not able to post pics here, so send me a PM with your email and I’ll attach some pics to you.

This place has all you could want in small chain and sprocket parts plus about anything else you might want in the way of gears, couplings, universals, you name it. https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/

Just out of curiosity, what is the end use ? If part of a locomotive drive train I might have a suggestion.

Gary,

Thanks for the link I will check them out. And no this isn’t a chain drive locomotive. It will be a small rail car. I don’t have any plans to start this project anytime soon. I am just going to slowly buy the parts for it and gather what I need. Steve posted it on face book and a small conversation ensued on how to do it. There is a really nice 1/25 plastic model T kit that has a bunch of different configuration options but it is out of production. I built one years ago from this kit and I looked on Ebay and they are still out there. I have a small motor with a worm gear and matching gear from a computer printer I think. I am hoping to use that. If not the other thought I had was a small motor from NWSL that has the shaft coming out both sides. Then I can direct drive it. It will be R/C battery using a Viper ESC and Tony’s controller that I am using for all my indoor stuff. I will have to build a little trailer for it to pack the battery. But the kit also has a truck version so I could make a small box van in the same manor. Just spit balling. Like I said I am just gathering. I have a railroad to build first.

Edit: Gary that place is great. A one stop shop.

Devon,

Gary posted the link above to the company I just received an order from. The chain and sprockets I ordered have the catalog prefix numbers

A 6M 7-12 The chain is .1227 pitch and 98 links per foot. the sprockets have that prefix but each size has a a suffix of several numbers.

I found it easiest to figure out what size I needed then call their engineering department and let them sort out the ordering numbers.

Got exactly what I ordered for the price quoted and it was here in a week.

Rick

Gary and Rick,

Thanks for the input. There is a very workable solution forming. NWSL had and is supposedly redesigning (according to the catalog) a flea drive. You can replace the wheel set with a single 3/32 axle. The above outfit has a 7 tooth sprocket for their acetyl chain that has a 3/32 bore. So that is a match made in heaven. Just build the model t to hide the flea drive and we are in business. So thanks again this was just the help I was looking for.

Devon is Devoning again…

David Maynard said:

Devon is Devoning again…

And look at the cool websites and photographs we’re getting out of it. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

David Maynard said:

Devon is Devoning again…

I know. . .I am telling myself I won’t start on it but I know better. . .(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif) once the parts are in hand this would be a fast build i think. . .

Devon,

Another source for small chain and sprockets would be the R/C car/truck vendors as well as W.M. Berg www.wmberg.com. Also look for any of the Robotics sites, they will also have small drive components.

Bob C.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

David Maynard said:

Devon is Devoning again…

And look at the cool websites and photographs we’re getting out of it. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Forrest, and that is why I only heckle him, but I do not discourage him.