Large Scale Central

E-Bay Humor

He said EXCELLENT condition, lot of hand rails missing, and only $285.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-GAUGE-USA-Trains-R22106-EMD-GP-9-Diesel-Locomotive-Union-Pacific-EXCELLENT-/152429745857?hash=item237d8556c1:g:hEUAAOSwImRYm4hY

Starting bid of $285.54! Wow!

Well, I posted a question to him:

Hi, you DO realize that the front handrail is missing (like the rear one) and you are missing the spring hangar “loops” from one of the trucks also?

Excellent condition should have no missing parts, and your price is high to boot. Just wanted to point these things out in case you decide a slightly more realistic price and rating.

We’ll see if he is realistic or smoking crack cocaine.

Greg

Robbie’s price is only $40.00 more at $328.89 for brand new.

Also stated “In box, shows a lot of wear.”

That alone should be a demerit to; nearly worn out…

Ebay is always good for a chuckle. I have seen the exact same item listed for say $200 where a few pages back it is going for a fraction of that price. Then when it doesn’t sell the item is relisted without a discount. Some people think there stuff is like GOLD either that or they are chancing that someone who doesn’t know the value of stuff will bid.

My personal favorite is “RARE”

yeah as rare in half baked steak or raindrops in a thunderstorm

an excuse to add $50.00 to the price

I avoid these items like the plague

Bill

Yeah, I see a lot of people who think that their old used stuff has grown in value, even with a trashed box, missing parts, and no return policy.

I keep seeing “I want to sell it for $1,000 because that is what I have invested in it”…

It is not an investment, or at the very best a bad investment.

Greg

Part of it may be that people have no idea what stuff is worth and are too lazy to research, or didn’t do enough research. I’ve seen quite a bit of G scale stuff that “came from an estate sale” that’s listed at about twice what it’s worth (IMO) and my thought is usually that the person saw this cool train item, bought it for cheap, and is now trying to make a lot of money. I suppose that’s partly related to a lot of “reality” shows where amazingly valuable finds are regularly made-- lady: my great aunt gave me this picture; appraiser: it’s worth $50,000

Blame it on the fact that the only research people do is to see what the highest listing is asking “Buy It Now” not the lowest. If nobody wants it at $50 what makes them think it will sell for $300? DA Ituss.

Tell them they are to high and they think you are trying to cheat them into selling their priceless artifact for peanuts.

My personal favorite… “RARE” and there are 10 of them currently for sale.

Article on how to buy on E-bay… https://cibolalmrr.wordpress.com/floyds-barbershop/

There are good people on E-bay who just don’t know what they are doing. A polite reasoned explanation will go a long way toward making your point. Of course it is still fun to laugh at the guy who wants $1600 for a one of a kind used Bmann ten wheeler with original box!

I look at advanced search and see what ones have sold for recently. That’s an accurate representation of price. I do it when selling stuff too.

I always like to see the original grey box REA listed as “Rare” and a retail asking price. The funny thing is the first thing you have to do is replace the trucks because of the crappy plastic that was used to make them, which adds another 25.00 to the price of the car. Not to mention that the REA cars and locomotives are over 20 years old.

Here’s another I saw today that amused me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LGB-40550-with-Motor-WATCH-THE-VIDEO-/252759056773?hash=item3ad99d2185:g:AAYAAOSwLEtYmXqI

I mean, they’re selling a $50 cement car that they’ve added a motor and LED to for ~$300.

Boomer K. said: Of course it is still fun to laugh at the guy who wants $1600 for a one of a kind used Bmann ten wheeler with original box!

Until he sells it for that price… :wink:

Later,

K

I like the people that sell for MSRP. They keep putting the stuff on E-bay and never sell anything. All they do is take up space.

Just looked at the UP GP he dropped the price to $255.

Don

Don & Craig Hofsheier said:

I like the people that sell for MSRP. They keep putting the stuff on E-bay and never sell anything. All they do is take up space.

Just looked at the UP GP he dropped the price to $255.

Don

I love the guys with that “rare and collectible” quite common item that is missing a wheel and the smokestack and has clearly been dropped selling as ‘not tested, as is’ and they still are asking the original MSRP (or more) despite a quick search revealing the same item in good operating condition for 1/5 the price. Learned to skip over alot of listing years ago.

Boomer K. said:

Blame it on the fact that the only research people do is to see what the highest listing is asking “Buy It Now” not the lowest. If nobody wants it at $50 what makes them think it will sell for $300? DA Ituss.

Tell them they are to high and they think you are trying to cheat them into selling their priceless artifact for peanuts.

My personal favorite… “RARE” and there are 10 of them currently for sale.

Article on how to buy on E-bay… https://cibolalmrr.wordpress.com/floyds-barbershop/

There are good people on E-bay who just don’t know what they are doing. A polite reasoned explanation will go a long way toward making your point. Of course it is still fun to laugh at the guy who wants $1600 for a one of a kind used Bmann ten wheeler with original box!

I tried to ‘esplain’ it to someone… once, they got very angry at my ‘butting in’ and refused to accept any of the logic behind my explaination, so I left them to their fantasy world.

Yep, he lowered the price immediately after I messaged him…

Good… (still too high)

Greg

Boomer reminded me of last years ECLSTS. There was a beat up box with a broken tank car marked “Mint In Box”. Looking carefully, they had put a York Peppermint Patty inside the box! LOL

Well, it is funny what is out there. But I always advise people to shop around. They way you know what the real deals are.

Years ago someone sent me a link to a Heartland Liberty Bell on eBay for $1200. So I went to the Heartland website, and, at the time, they were still in stock, and MSRP was something in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range.

But so many people think old trains equals big dollars, because their uncle’s, best freind’s, ex-roommate’s brother, sold his Lionel set for 3 grand. But of course no one remembers exactly what set it was. And maybe it wasn’t quite 3 grand, but it was almost 3 grand…