Large Scale Central

Who makes, "Colorado-ish," l steam classification lam

I am sure some time ago, I bought a nice set of steam locomotive class lamps that were 2-part, (or even 3 part), castings. White metal, and the lamp was cast hollow with lens holes. Done well enough they likely could be illuminated with a little care. They had the definite Colorado narrow gauge, C-16, or so look to them. Very distinctive Colorado. Now I can’t remember where I got them. I went first to Ozark, and found none. Being white metal, that lets out PSC and Trackside Details. Larry’s G Scale seems thin on loco parts, and I looked there. I don’t think they came with any lens though, which could be a problem unless they could be home-made.

Anyone remember such a thing? John B already caught me missing something on Ozark, - maybe I have again. These I once had seem just the type of thing Ozark would make.

?? Dennis

P.S.: Yes, Trackside does make some with the same look, but mount differently. Of course, their’s are brass. Might have to settle for that, - if no other source turns up.

Do you mean something like these:

Those are from Ozark.

By Golly! They sure look familiar. First, after seeing your reference to Ozark, I went back to their site again. This time, for some reason, I went in and landed on their menu that had their large 36MB catalog listed. So I downloaded that. What a difference. I’d been looking under individual scales/categories menus before and the real catalog is much better. I think that is why I’ve been missing things.

So in their catalog, it shows a string of several class and marker lamps. Your photo seems to show their, “0090 Radial,” lamps. 0097 seems to be something of a runner up, and they show 0097 as loco and tender lamps. It looks like you have yours illuminated as I see wires. Is this right? With a white LED? (Also looks to be a B’mann Connie with the headlight moved up?) I seem to remember class lamps are often not lighted when running, but are set to white forward for an Extra or the only other color, Green, for Second Section following. (Standard class lamps usually having only 2 lenses) Or did the Colorado prototype have ONLY white in their class lamps? (I’m not a Colorado NG expert by any means)

So I’m thinking you are running 0090’s with a white lamp. I think my best bet is to order both from Ozark. Thank you for the fast help. Dennis

Yup, that’s a Connie and I did move the headlight up.

And those lamps are very similar to the ones that come already installed on the K-27.

I believe it is a LED, but don’t quote me on that since it was years ago I mounted them. Those are just plain white and they come on when the headlight comes on. I use them in lieu of flags since they’re a bit more dramatic.

And if I remember correctly, one style I bought were solid metal, and I drilled out the interior and the lens openings. I’m not sure if it were these or another kind I bought. But I’m pretty sure it was this kind.

Some had round openings for lenses and I used them on my caboose. They also sold the lenses for those in green and red, but they had a silver backing to them that was easy enough to scrap off in case you wanted to illuminate them.

Dennis,

I can’t find that link for the downloadable catalog anywhere on their site. I know they had one years ago.

Some of those items in the downloaded catalog may be discontinued. Post the link here, please.

Hi John, All…

Try this: http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/downloads/ozark.pdf

I’m fumbling a bit this morning, so if you have success with this, post back here please.

Dennis

PS: I began with this Ozark page: http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/openExtra.asp?extra=28

Then clicked on the first, center line, at catalogs.

I had previously been landing on another Ozark page which I later realized had a, “catalog,” line near the bottom of the left menu, but I had missed it. So never tried that way…it may work too.

Having it in PDF is nice.

Dennis

Precision Scale

page 36 of their large scale catalog. http://www.precisionscaleco.com/

edit to say these are brass so not the ones you were looking for.

Dennis Thompson said:

By Golly! They sure look familiar. First, after seeing your reference to Ozark, I went back to their site again. This time, for some reason, I went in and landed on their menu that had their large 36MB catalog listed. So I downloaded that. What a difference. I’d been looking under individual scales/categories menus before and the real catalog is much better. I think that is why I’ve been missing things.

So in their catalog, it shows a string of several class and marker lamps. Your photo seems to show their, “0090 Radial,” lamps. 0097 seems to be something of a runner up, and they show 0097 as loco and tender lamps. It looks like you have yours illuminated as I see wires. Is this right? With a white LED? (Also looks to be a B’mann Connie with the headlight moved up?) I seem to remember class lamps are often not lighted when running, but are set to white forward for an Extra or the only other color, Green, for Second Section following. (Standard class lamps usually having only 2 lenses) Or did the Colorado prototype have ONLY white in their class lamps? (I’m not a Colorado NG expert by any means)

So I’m thinking you are running 0090’s with a white lamp. I think my best bet is to order both from Ozark. Thank you for the fast help. Dennis

I agree with the big difference in using Ozark’s catalog, way easier to find what your looking for.

Nice large scale catalog from Precision Scale…No prices, tho.

John Bouck said:

Nice large scale catalog from Precision Scale…No prices, tho.

Yeah you have to get it from them separately. I have it but its just as easy to have them email it. If oyu need something priced let me know.

I did order the Radial Class Lamps from Ozark. Had trouble getting their web site to accept the 0097 part number, so called them directly. Nice lady took care of my order promptly. I hope they turn out to be the ones like Ken pictured earlier in this sequence of posts.

As an aside, I also ordered from Trackside Details. Good experience and I’ll post that separately.

Dennis

They should be the same. Just remember that they’re solid metal so you’ll have to drill out the middle to get a lamp ot LED in it and also drill out the lenses.

Ken, your comment fits with what their photo looked like. However, my main reason for calling them was to ask if they were solid or had a hollow core for a lamp to be used. The lady said the one I was asking about was hollow and could be illuminated. I sure hope she’s right, 'cause I order two.

That’s good , Dennis. That will save you a little bit of work.

Thanks, Ken. I just hope she was right. I’ll see when they show up. She seemed very positive in her answer, but even the most wonderful folks can misunderstand a question at times and I sometimes worry I ask in a fashion easy to understand. I’ll post the outcome here.

I just looked at their catalog. The ones I have are 0090 RADIAL’ MARKER LAMPS W/BRKT’S (2).

Those were the solid ones. But either one works.

I wish I had seen this posting earlier…sorry.

If you want to light them, Trackside Details (TD-76).

If you don’t want to light them, Ozark Minatures (90)

For lighting the Trackside Details class lights I used 3mm Golden White LEDs from Richmond Controls purchased through UlrichModels (Ulrich is no longer around).