Large Scale Central

Hauling Firewood

I know I should have been working on the build challenge but when the temps hit near 50 in mid January in New England it is better to be out getting some fresh air and running trains.

In this video the Cape Cod Centrals’ Beyer Garratt gets the call to haul not one but 2 loads of firewood from the woodpile to the house.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_WU-vY1Cs

I have to admit that is much more fun than carrying an arm load of wood!

The engine looks to be going well with that load!

Great Video! I’m happy to see that you finally got all the Garratt’s wheels to stay on the rails. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I don’t know Todd, kinda looks to me like you just did one load of wood, repositioned them and sent it around again . lol

love that it helps out with your chores, I would spend all day moving wood close to the house, I will not stay warm there.

I believe the scale of the firewood is off jussssst a wee bit!! More like the Lilliputian train taking firewood to Gulliver’s house. Nice video. How many trips do you have to make to get enough firewood for the winter?

Dan, those must be those California trees they have out there.

I want a Garratt so bad it isn’t even funny, I feel my modelling life would be complete! Too bad I can’t afford it!

That’s a great video Todd. I really like your Garratt. It looks like you built it out of two Bachmann Ten Wheels. Did you have a build log on your Garratt? I love to see how you built it.

Chuck

Great video Todd. I love that Garrett, so cool to see it chugging around earning it’s keep. I’d kind of forgotten about it after your build log, so it was good to see it again.

Here Chuck: Todd’s Build

I really like the water tank with the windmill on top too. Don’t know that I have seen that before.

Thanks guys. I’m glad you liked the video and my Garratt.

Dan, I just made the 2 trips for that evenings fire. I have used the train to haul weeds, leaves, acorns and veggies but with limited loads it gets to be a chore after a few trips.

John, you should go for it and build one. The only thing I would have changed is to lower the whole body. I think it sits a bit tall at 7". My shay in comparison is 8" tall at the balloon stack.

The Garratt was a challenge to build. I used 2 bachmann drive units that I bought when they came on sale. the boiler, cab and tenders are also bachmann. To date the biggest challenge was in getting the middle bogies to stay on the track. I tried many configurations and finally went with the swivel axle setup from a 2 axle LGB boxcar but it is still not perfect. When making the video I caught one of the wheel sets dragging more than once. There is a pinch point on my RR, a 15’ long horseshoe tunnel built around 5’ diameter curve track. The one wheel derailed each time through there and at one other spot on the RR.

Randy the water tank with the windmill was built from a photo in a book I have about old Cape Cod RR’s In the photo there was just a peek of the top so I guessed on most of the build. Glad you like it.

5 years ago I made a similar video to this one where my Heisler pulled wood from the pile (over temporary track) along the layout which has changed A LOT and into the house (over temporary track) right up to the hearth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sF-NT8tPY