Large Scale Central

New Revolution Linear Base Receiver & USB Programmer

Good day - I have put my notes on two new Revolution products, the new Linear Super Base Receiver and USB Programmer on my web page here:

http://trainelectronics.com/RevoElectronics/LinearBase-USB/

The Linear Base Station is designed to provide non-pulsed, linear DC to our trains. The USB Programmer allows us to update software and sound files on the Revolution devices.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

dave

Dave,

Thanks for digging into this…

In reference to older transmitters, you stated that it will render the transmitter inoperable. How can we tell what is old and what is new.

Or is it just a Rev. issue ?

Kevin

Kevin - any of the older units should NOT be reprogrammed until they update the software - I asked Navin to put this on the web page in BIG LETTERS so that others don’t discover what I did!

That means that you should only update equipment that you get from the new vendor - nothing from Aristo or Crest.

dave

Thank You Dave For your time and review. What sound did you find in the linear base? I have the new PWC base and it has the old crest sound also do you think that the heat output will be the same as the old, did you try the overload?

cheers Richard

Richard - the unit was programmed at the factory with the old Crest diesel sound - I changed it to steam and it sounded like it always did - I expect new sound files but it may be later rather than sooner.

I didn’t do any stress tests on the base station as I did all of that with the Crest unit when I reviewed that - the circuitry looks nearly identical so I didn’t feel the need to do such testing - I was much more interested in how the internal linear conversion circuit functioned.

Perhaps one of the other folks who have access to the base station will give it a go.

For what it is worth I did my testing with a very large DC motor attached that was pulling well over 4 amps and I had no appreciable heat.

dave

Dave,

Thanks, most of us understand BIG LETTERS. I see this as long awaited progress, I’m sure this issue will get resolved.

Standing by.

Kevin

Thank’s Dave for the reply. I thought that also just wanted to confirm with you. I just thought it funny that the new revo would have both the new and old sounds, and the base would only have the old. I was kind of dishearten when i talked to them the other day and was told may not be able to reprogram the old, seams like there having hard time coming up with a program.

cheers Richard

That didn’t come out during my conversation with Navin yesterday - interesting… From a business standpoint it makes more sense to put time into the units they are marketing now rather than those from earlier — hopefully we can see support extend to the ones that many of us have and use.

dave

There has been a change in Firmware that is making it challenging to update older units. From what I was told the older plastic button transmitters will not have the availability of an update, They are trying to work on the Crest Sound receivers, but are not sure if it will work. All of the new Precision RC products are on the new firmware.

I would love if they had the ability to upgrade the older sound receivers also, but you are asking a new company to spend there resources on an older product.

Please remember that this is a new company, not affiliated with Crest or AristoCraft. As with all technology it evolves, and requires an upgrade.

I can not use my I-pad one anymore as it is not supported by apple updates anymore, for example.

Nico Corbo

4-Track Engineering

Thanks Dave for the warning of not re-programming the firmware on the Crest equipment.

I was going to sell some of my spare Crest receivers, but I will hold on to them now.

David Bodnar said:

Good day - I have put my notes on two new Revolution products, the new Linear Super Base Receiver and USB Programmer on my web page here:

http://trainelectronics.com/RevoElectronics/LinearBase-USB/

The Linear Base Station is designed to provide non-pulsed, linear DC to our trains. The USB Programmer allows us to update software and sound files on the Revolution devices.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

dave

Dave,

Thank you for your review of the Precision RC Company Revolution Linear Base Station.

Question: With respect to the new Precision RC company Linear version base station receiver, can the transmitter command switchable Linear to PWC operation (bypass the Linear converter components) for PWC output?

In this regard, the transmitter with my early model Crest brand Revolution base station system (receiver board - no case) includes PWC /Linear transmitter command control capability, but it did not do anything since no low pass filtering circuitry is in the receiver board of my early model. So maybe this command will actually work on the Precision RC company’s new Linear Base Station model?

Being able to switch back and forth from PWC to Linear mode is of benefit since I found USA Trains brand lights in their loco and caboose products do not function properly on PWC but work OK on Linear mode. Aristo-Craft brand locos work OK on both Linear or PWC modes, but as you know, using PWC allows lights to illuminate at low/er speed settings for Aristo. My solution for this is in Article hosted for me by Greg E. on his Web site.

-Ted

Ted - there is no hardware on the linear board to bypass the filter so the short answer is no - I suppose you could put a bypass switch in but it would void the warranty - better to get a PWC unit and add the external PWC to Linear converter - that could easily be removed from the circuit or bypassed by a switch

dave

Thank you Dave,

That’s what I did with my early model Crest Base Station.

-Ted

And the power rating of the Linear is 5 amps less than the PWC unit with a PWM filter.

Greg