Large Scale Central

Weathering corrugated roofing

I know there are several methods to weather corrugated roofing, but I’m looking for suggestions from you that I can apply. Question, before or after the roofing has been applied? Which do you suggest is the easiest way. I’ve used preweathered material before, but this time my roofing is unweathered. Thanks for the advice.

Rich, I’ll refer you to last year’s challenge; the whole challenge was built around corrugated roofing. Honest to God, if you can’t find a solution that fits what you’re doing there, nowhere will help!

Be sure to keep us posted on what you come up with.

Good suggestion John. I rummaged around and found what looks like a feasible option. I’ll post what I’ve accomplished when done. Thanks.

I usually attach the corrugated metal to the structure, then paint and weather it.

Painting: I start with a self-etching primer. (Not necessary if your material is plastic.) Then I top it with Rustoleum’s “Cold Galvanizing Compound” which gives it an authentic look of aged, galvanized metal.

Weathering: Depends on how much weathering you want, but I often use Sophisticated Finishes’ “Iron” and “Rust Solution” to create rusted metal.

Thanks Ray. i actually found a package of RustAll in my stuff that I’m going to try to use. They also recommend a gray primer prior to applying the rust solution. I’m going to look for the Cold Galvanizing Compound. I’m not familiar with that but sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tips.

Rich,

The “Cold Gal” gives your surface much better “tooth” to accept the weathering products than does regular primer.

Rick

Both Home Depot and Dixieline Lumber carry the Cold Galvanizing Compound. At Dixieline, it is usually on a shelf with the heating and air ducts, rather than with the rest of the spray paints.

Thanks Ray. I found some yesterday at our local Ace hardware store. Hope to try it out before the weekend and a trip to southern Arizona. By the way, on your ramblings in the desert, find your way to Apache Junction and visit the new club layout there. A nice project underway there.