Large Scale Central

New Gwire Receivers

Another of the mysteries in Large Scale we are facing is the demise of small companies that have specialized products.

My collection of 25 USAT and Aristo Locomotives are using both Phoenix and QSI Quantum/Titan sound systems.

Just as I began converting the QSI units to wireless, the supply of Gwire Receivers dried up. (sad but common story)

This month I was shocked to find a single new version Gwire receiver at a well known DCC dealer.

Are they out there?

The communication is spotty with QSI Solutions and most QSI dealers seem frustrated to say the least.

So, if anyone not also searching for Gwire receivers knows where some are available, please send me a PM.

Hopefully QSI Solutions will overcome it’s challenges and continue on.

Regards,

Mike

Forget G-wire receivers. Airwire and Tam Valley Depot have receivers that will work very well with the QSI and most other DCC decoders. I’ve been using them for three years now, and am very pleased with them.

Airwire just released a new 6-amp capacity version of their “Convertr” receiver. ($132 - $138) I have not played with it as it has just come on the market, but I’ve used their 2.7 amp Convertr receiver in a number of projects. Tam Valley Depot’s “DRS1 Hi-Power” receiver is very similar in operation to Airwire’s Convertr, though has a slightly lower capacity at 3 amps continuous, 5 amps peak. It’s also much cheaper, at $90. I’ve used the TVD receiver in a number of locos.

The advantage of using either of these boards as opposed to the G-wire receiver (besides the fact that they’re available) is that you do not have to set the QSI to “Airwire” mode. It works upstream of the QSI. You wire the output of the Convertr or TVD receiver to the track power inputs of the QSI board. You can easily wire the loco for track or battery DCC control, toggling either the track or receiver output feeding the decoder. (Also great for programming!)

The Convertr lets you choose from all 17 Airwire frequencies. You must program the Convertr to the same DCC address as the decoder, as you also need to program which frequency it runs on by setting the appropriate CV. The TVD receiver only works on Airwire channel 16, but you do not have to program a decoder address for the receiver. I’ve run QSI boards with the TVD and G-wire receivers, and there’s no difference in performance between the two that I’ve noticed.

Note that if you have the NCE G-wire transmitter, it does not support Airwire channel 16, so you’d be limited to the Airwire Convertr.

Hope this helps. I would also expect to see similar receivers from other vendors show up as time goes on. If you ask me, this is very much a case of “you snooze, you loose” on QSI’s part. I’ve moved on, not only to new receivers, but new decoders as well.

Later,

K

I recently saw pictures of the new G-Wire receivers (at least that’s what I recall) looking for picture.

Michael

Michael, I wouldn’t hold my breath. They’ve been rumored for a few years now. I get the inevitable sense that it’s simply not a priority for them. Inquiries made on the QSI Yahoo group relative to its release have gone unanswered. Having two viable alternatives, I’ve stopped worrying.

Later,

K

Picture was of recently received decoders, my mistake.

Michael

I’d suggest dealers speak to Josh at QSI for information on the current status or availability of G-Wire RX’s!

Michael

Michael, if you ever give up on QSI, I’ll buy your used ones.

Greg

Michael Glavin said: I’d suggest dealers speak to Josh at QSI for information on the current status or availability of G-Wire RX’s!

Therein lies the issue. Dealers have asked Josh, and got no response. I don’t want to come across as bashing QSI (they make a great decoder) but this lack of communication has plagued them since Josh took over a few years ago. That’s what sent me looking for alternatives to the G-wire receiver. I had some QSI decoders with no way to control them, and I got tired of waiting for answers from QSI, let alone receivers. I had used Airwire’s 2-amp Convertr in a few low-current projects, then I came across the Tam Valley Depot boards, and found they worked very well. No need at that point to press QSI further on the issue. Problem (for me) solved.

And the added beauty was that it allowed me to explore all the other new decoders that are coming on the market now. I still like QSI, and will use their decoders when the installation warrants it.

Later,

K

Hi Guys, I live 2 hours away from Josh and could not get a meeting. I believe the G scale market is small for QSI and they are investing into the smaller scales.

With the G scale market losing the Titan for r/c battery capability I am very pleased to announce a new vendor who will offer the latest radio technology along with sound decoders that offer all the benefits of DCC but is not based on dcc and setting CV’s. Ring Manufacturing will be offering the RailPro locomotives modules for large scale this March.

Anybody thinking of starting with DCC should review this product before you decide. Thanks to Kevin and Greg I learned a lot about DCC and its benefits. This is why I choose to find a simpler solution as I have no desire to manage CV’s.

The RailPro system is so impressive I have customers send me their HO locos with DCC sound decoders to be replaced with the RailPro

Before you all shoot me I will move this discussion to RCS of New England under the vendors section.

Don